Do I need to do anything ?

sunil6784

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am finishing up a chemiclean treatment (in hour 42) After fighting cyano for about 5 weeks or so, I gave in.

Tested the water, nitrates are at 9.2 ppm, and PO4 is at .153 ppm. All checked with Hanna checkers.

Tank is about 5 months old. Very low maintenance, tank will be a softie/leather/zoa tank. Have a few of each so far. No fuge, no filter socks. Just a skimmer and UV.

It looks like I have some turf algae or GHA starting. I'm not worried about it, but wondering if my PO4 is high enough to worry about ?

I could run a GFO reactor, or fuge, or both. Id prefer not to just to keep the tank simple. Wondering if the .15 of PO4 is anything of concern ?

To note, I have minimal CUC..need to beef that up.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a softie tank I think its fine, even for lps I think its fine. I would not run a GFO unless you have rocks that leach phosphate.

For this tiny amount of po4 , I add one or two drops of phosphate-e or phosban-l or something like that, and it drops down to about .05

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk. po4 seems pretty high to me, if you want to get rid of algae, you have to get rid of its source of food (Phosphate and nitrate) even nitrate could be lowered a bit.
Not really. Tank is new and the nitrate and phosphate levels are not high at all.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk. po4 seems pretty high to me, if you want to get rid of algae, you have to get rid of its source of food (Phosphate and nitrate) even nitrate could be lowered a bit.
Of course, this thread was started 4 months ago so who knows what the tank is doing now, lol.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's my point... I was just listing a reason why they could have algae. I feel like getting numbers down eventually would help with a possible algae problem in the future.
Probably not though.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back