Do I need to seal my stand ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Murph710
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Murph710

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 20, 2019
Messages
30
Reaction score
5
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
122D3720-8E7E-41D2-91BC-A4D0F909305F.jpeg

Hello everyone. Getting closer to plumbing this up and putting some water in it. Do I need to seal the wood, it will remain just like this no doors or covering around the stand. I plan to cut some acrylic to put over my sump to keep some of the evaporation off it. Thanks Jim
 
I did with just a clear acrylic sealer from homedepot. Saltwater is rough on everything. And will eventually rot. Don’t want to be in a position years form the road where falling apart.
 
If possible I like to coat stands with Kilz original primer (must be outdoors or otherwise extremely well ventilated). But yes the wood should be protected.
 
I would definitely seal it, without sealing it the wood will swell and mildew. Many recommend Rust-Oleum Specialty Appliance Epoxy, I also sealed the gaps of mine with caulking after painting it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 12.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new