Do I need to start dosing??

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed my duncans, goni and euphyllia have been looking a lot better lately with my wavemaker pointed more towards the surface, more surface agitation.. how's your gas exchange? Just a thought...

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aluco good call I have my wavemaker and return messing up the surface good. So I think that gas exchange should be ok. I think it may be the mag. I may dose a tiny bit and see if it reacts

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the first 5 days, I have been dosing 20 ml of magnesium and that is it. I am seeing that calcium is decreasing and Alk. I can see magnesium being used but I should have probably done this 1 week without dosing magnesium to see how much it dropped naturally.

I am worried my nitrates are dropping even though I increased feeding, and that my phosphate is 0.

1670011577739.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29 I have done 2 weeks of daily testing, most days 2x a day for ca and mg.

I do think I have a touch of dinos as my phosphate was 0 for a long time. I have been battling them and they are looking much better it seems so far. I know my phosphate is bouncing around a bit but I am learning how to keep it more stable I think.

What are your thoughts on these parameters?

14 Day Averages (slightly skewed)
Salinity: 35.06
Temp: 78.3
Alk: 8.2
Ca: 396
Mg: 1425
Nitrate: 10
Phosphate: .05

1671034634860.png

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why you're pushing your Mg up so high? Sorry if it was already mentioned...
@TokenReefer I had a hammer that wasnt looking so hot(read to up you mg and it will help), but since I have upped my Mg everything seems fluffier and more happy (favia, acans, hammers etc). Does this seem too high? I saw many people doing 1500+ I want it between 1375-1450

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29 I have done 2 weeks of daily testing, most days 2x a day for ca and mg.

I do think I have a touch of dinos as my phosphate was 0 for a long time. I have been battling them and they are looking much better it seems so far. I know my phosphate is bouncing around a bit but I am learning how to keep it more stable I think.

What are your thoughts on these parameters?

14 Day Averages (slightly skewed)
Salinity: 35.06
Temp: 78.3
Alk: 8.2
Ca: 396
Mg: 1425
Nitrate: 10
Phosphate: .05

1671034634860.png
Numbers look great except calcium slightly low. You want 420 to 450. You only need to check cal monthly. Weekly alk tests also indicate what your cal is doing because they typically move proportionally. Your mag is fine that's where I keep mine. The only missing pieces of the puzzle are trace elements which is why an ICP every 4 months or so is beneficial but weekly water changes should keep those good until you get a full stock of coral then trace dosing may be required.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why you're pushing your Mg up so high? Sorry if it was already mentioned...
Various coral vendors will recommend mag near 1500 to prevent nuisance algae and enhance coral growth by stimulating alk and cal but like most things in the hobby this is debatable and each tank is unique. Some of the big vendors on here that I've talked to do it though.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers look great except calcium slightly low. You want 420 to 450. You only need to check cal monthly. Weekly alk tests also indicate what your cal is doing because they typically move proportionally. Your mag is fine that's where I keep mine. The only missing pieces of the puzzle are trace elements which is why an ICP every 4 months or so is beneficial but weekly water changes should keep those good until you get a full stock of coral then trace dosing may be required.
@Lavey29 I will check it less frequently but i wanted to have a daily testing to see what was being used etc!

I am slowly upping Calcium right now

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29 I will check it less frequently but i wanted to have a daily testing to see what was being used etc!

I am slowly upping Calcium right now
I'd stop dosing the magnesium and just observe it for a month or two. The changes you are seeing in magnesium are mostly test error. It never is consumed faster than about 1/10th of the calcium depletion rate, so even 1 ppm per day is a pretty high rate to expect.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stop dosing the magnesium and just observe it for a month or two. The changes you are seeing in magnesium are mostly test error. It never is consumed faster than about 1/10th of the calcium depletion rate, so even 1 ppm per day is a pretty high rate to expect.
@Randy Holmes-Farley thanks for the input! I will do weekly testing of Mg the next month or so without dosing and see how it looks. I am using salifert tests, is there anyway to be more precise?

I usually tested once in the morning once in the afternoon and these are the averages

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Various coral vendors will recommend mag near 1500 to prevent nuisance algae and enhance coral growth by stimulating alk and cal but like most things in the hobby this is debatable and each tank is unique. Some of the big vendors on here that I've talked to do it though.
Interesting. I'm going to look into this. Thanks.

Sounds like you're on a good path with @Lavey29 op! Not to add any confusion but what salt are you using? I use IO and lately I'm not liking the starting parameters the more tracking I do on my tank. Good luck!

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I'm going to look into this. Thanks.

Sounds like you're on a good path with @Lavey29 op! Not to add any confusion but what salt are you using? I use IO and lately I'm not liking the starting parameters the more tracking I do on my tank. Good luck!
@TokenReefer I am still getting my water from my LFS they use the fritz blue. I am working on getting my rodi set up and will probably start mixing my own soon, which will most likely make me have to redo this testing if I change over.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TokenReefer I am still getting my water from my LFS they use the fritz blue. I am working on getting my rodi set up and will probably start mixing my own soon, which will most likely make me have to redo this testing if I change over.
Oh ok. Sorry I came to this thread late and just now started reading the beginning lol... a little backwards today. Since you haven't picked a salt brand yet (unless you have) and you're tracking your numbers like you are, you can maybe choose a salt that matches your baseline a little closer to make wc's less of an impact... just something to consider

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. Sorry I came to this thread late and just now started reading the beginning lol... a little backwards today. Since you haven't picked a salt brand yet (unless you have) and you're tracking your numbers like you are, you can maybe choose a salt that matches your baseline a little closer to make wc's less of an impact... just something to consider
I have not even began that journey I will need to start reading up on the different salts and parameters. That is a good call out thank you

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 2 months old and my dkh swings a little but stays on the low side. My LFS said it may be time to start dosing kalkwasser. Does anyone agree? I’d like it to be more stable for calcium alk and ph. This seems like the solution.

does anyone have a good doser that they recommend / ph monitor? I don’t have a ton to spend but also don’t want to have the swings / have to rebuy the pump in a few months.
Thanks for the help!
I would suggest investing few bucks in a reliable tests kits, like Salifert, they are not that expensive. With few corals you may initially be OK dosing manually, perhaps you just need only single correction, not daily dosing.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest investing few bucks in a reliable tests kits, like Salifert, they are not that expensive. With few corals you may initially be OK dosing manually, perhaps you just need only single correction, not daily dosing.
@bushdoc thank you! I have hanna for alk and salifert for everything else!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI are simple. You can just keep it in a closet or on the floor in the garage. Doesnt need to be mounted. Pull it out when you need it and connect a hose. If you live in an apartment it can connect to the sink when you need it. I just make 15g every few weeks and try and use the waste water for your plants or something rather then discarding. Once you have clean 0 TDS water then making salt water is easy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back