Do leather coral toxins only affect some other species?

chopdrop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 28g softy tank which was full of zoas, GSP, rics, pulsing xenia, and a few different types of leathers (branching sinularia, toadstool, cabbage). As it stands now, the GSP and zoas have all basically disappeared. The xenia is doing obnoxiously well, the ricordea are also pretty happy, and the leathers are all doing well.
I don't have params on hand here at work but last I checked they were generally unremarkable and all inverts (multiple shrimps, brittlestar, CUC) which I sort of look to as the canaries of the coalmine are doing very well.
I run carbon intermittently, but it has had no change on the withering away of the zoas and GSP.
Obviously this can't be answered definitively but does anyone have any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that leather toxins would take out GSP and zoas but leave xenia and rics alone?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had large green sinularia that would take out lots of corals, but mainly lps. It depended on proximity and flow too. I could never grow acans in that set up at all. Ricordias would grow like crazy though. Zoas would die out too. Cannot verify that was because of the leathers (except the lps proximity as I tried different tests).
I am now setting up a leather/softie tank after my tank move instead of gorgs, so things are just coming to life.No zoas though and one lps.
I always run carbon. This is really a must with leathers and gorgonias.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your current parameters specifically.
SG
Alk
Cal
Mag
No3
Po4

for the gorgorians i keep which are also toxic i run carbon in a reactor and change monthlyish. But i cant say this actually is needed tbh, as sometimes i do forget for a week or 2. There are zoa pests like nudis, and i am hesitant on peppermint shrimp, as they can go rouge and eat corals.

When my gorgs are unhappy i have never noticed a coral die, same when i had a toxic sponge die in my tank. But again i do run carbon 24/7.

*caveat i dont keep any zoas, they dont do well in my sps dominate system.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its been a few weeks since a response on this; however, I wanted to weigh in a little. My zoas seem to do great with leathers (I have some that almost choked out my toadstool when it was smaller - they now coexist happily). I *just* started running carbon today - I'm looking into a reactor if passive carbon seems to help. Suddenly my larger LPS and any SPS near my leathers are starting to look a little angry. Again, zoas are great. I have never been able to grow any mushrooms to save my life - not sure if it's related.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Specifically flexibilide (released by sarcophyton) causes death of hard corals. From what I can recall they are actually studying chemicals found in many soft corals that have show promising results against cancer.

Back