Do LED lights get old/go bad?

Jdwest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In CBBs the main point of failure seems to be the plastic caps over the actual diode, not the diodes themselves.

The 3w 'dome style' on 2010-2014 style CBBs has a soft acrylic cap. Over time, heat and moisture will cause these to yellow and cloud. Failed LEDs will cause these caps to look browned out. Even if the LED is still actually functioning, the cap will brown from the excess heat... I just had to replace a set of diodes on my GalaxyHydro CBBs because of this.

But then again, I knew what I was in for, I bought mine originally in 2009-2010... when LEDs were a fledgling art. The LEDs in my box lasted 10ish years. uncapped diodes show minimal dimming, and only one had truly 'burnt out'. but they had lost spectrum quality and luminosity, and were beginning to run 12 to 28 Fahrenheit degrees hotter than original.

LEDs don't fail like T5's or metal halides, They fail more like a car battery, short notice before complete degradation.
I did just have to replace some my lights running to hot but didnt see any loss of growth no yellowing in cap but with heat they putting wouldn't been long .Have had some cree 50 wat chips fry at 6 months my error not enough thermo paste using 100 watt supply .sry don't rember actual name what drives diode

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did just have to replace some my lights running to hot but didnt see any loss of growth no yellowing in cap but with heat they putting wouldn't been long .Have had some cree 50 wat chips fry at 6 months my error not enough thermo paste using 100 watt supply .sry don't rember actual name what drives diode
You got it exactly right, a driver. They're also called power supplies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back