Do People Get Too Worked Up Over Nuisance Algae?

Would you leave the hobby because of nuisance algae?

• I have stopped reefing because of nuisance algae

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I would stop reefing because of nuisance algae

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I would not stop reefing because of nuisance algae

Votes: 114 95.0%

• Total voters

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think reefers tend to be too concerned over pest algae and bacteria?

Many people claim that they will leave, or have left, the hobby because of their fight with Cyanobacteria, turf algae, bubble algae, or any of those other pain-in-the-butt pests. But many of these, while unsightly, are relatively harmless, and can be managed even if not eradicated. Would you give up reefing if you struggled with nuisance algae? Or would it still be enjoyable to you?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who claims to have control over those needs to post work threads for review. Show how someone with a rampant infestation was cured on file, more than one example.

I’m highly interested in seeing the patterned works of those who can control it in others tanks because if we could invade/uninvade at will then we have the ability to stop literally tons of waste we produce as hobbyists in dead corals and started over reef tanks / clean new rocks due to myriad invasions nobody, authors and sages included, could undo.

I’m not even sure one can have a rounded opinion about aquarium algae until they practice controlling it in others tanks + able to post that work.

we all ought to spend time in the nuisance algae thread earning after pics, before voting

not from our own tanks, but the tanks of others we worked is key key in forming accurate opinions on aquarium invasion imo

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave....no.

Add GFO to my reactor.....maybe.

I'm currently trying to figure the cause of my GHA rebound. Two steps forward, three steps back.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pretty bad battle with GHA. Didn't understand how I got so much it was insane. 4-5" in length and even growing on the substrate. All I had was 2 clowns and a Fowleri Tang in my 300g. Turns out I realized I didn't cure my old live rock....which released massive phosphates creating the problem. Problem has been solved for the most part with CUC etc.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately I haven't had any algae problems with my current tank (yet). However my first reef tank was a disaster. It was my husband's tank when we got married and his idea of fish keeping of any kind is throw water, tank, filter, and heater together with fish and hope for the best. I took it over and cleaned it out and started taking care of it but I never fully got the nuisances under control. It had it ALL!!! Here's a before and after. The only thing I wish I still had from this tank is that mushroom leather! He was gorgeous.

slattank1_zpsa12366ef.jpg
salty2_zps0fed5de6.jpg

OP
OP
VKP01

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately I haven't had any algae problems with my current tank (yet). However my first reef tank was a disaster. It was my husband's tank when we got married and his idea of fish keeping of any kind is throw water, tank, filter, and heater together with fish and hope for the best. I took it over and cleaned it out and started taking care of it but I never fully got the nuisances under control. It had it ALL!!! Here's a before and after. The only thing I wish I still had from this tank is that mushroom leather! He was gorgeous.

slattank1_zpsa12366ef.jpg
salty2_zps0fed5de6.jpg
Wow! How long did that take? What methods did you use?

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! How long did that take? What methods did you use?
Actually I had gotten really sick of looking at that ugly thing so I broke it all down and in one day scoured all the rocks and glass, vacuumed the crap out of the sand, thoroughly cleaned all the equipment, added GFO to the filter, got a new protien skimmer and power heads and changed 90 % of the water. Lost almost all the inverts but luckily out of the 4 fish that were in there only lost the yellow tang. Clowns and blennies are hardy little buggers. Then I went slow and fish in cycled it and added the CUC and instituted a strict water change and dosing schedule. It was a vast improvement but I always had issues with red slime, cyano and GHA. I am determined not to have those same issues with my current tank.

In all that algae I had actually found some coral like star polyps clinging to life.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA only yanks my chain when it starts killing off corals by encroaching onto and into the corals.

I have mostly zoas/palys

Zoas will stop growing and recede if GHA encroaches on the colony.

Palys dont seem to care and are ok sharing space with GHA but I believe it slows the outward growth of the colony.

Ratvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my current tank (RSM 130D) for a grand total of £68.00 as the previous owner gave up after losing a 3 month battle to GHA, Diatoms and Cyano. Was very ugly when I picked it up

James butchart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been tackling gha for months now but not giving up. I got a new tank at the start of the 30g all in one filtration at the back. I didn't realise at the back of one of the filter sections a load of crap was building and raising nitrate and phosphate. Sorted that start lowering the levels then went on vacation(autofeeder I'll say no more). I now have nitrate and phosphate where I want them with 10% weekly water change and a modified hang on the back refug that came with a UV light. Only starting to add cuc again. Gha has pretty much stopped growing now. I've order a bottle of vibrant to try and sort out the last bit if that fails the rock work is coming out for a good scrub.

20191004_110357.jpg

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it is a matter of degree but I don’t think a tank has to be pristine. Some people seem to freak if they see some bubble algae or some brown algae on the sand bed. Most can be controlled with a slow set up and regular good husbandry. And a little bit of algae is not a disaster and actually is closer to what naturally occurs on a reef.

EHerbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My softie dominant reef has been up for almost five years. I battled with GHA early on by scrubbing some out and with a large CUC, including a Sea Hare. Now that the reef has filled in, there's been no problem. Although, I do have several spots that, for some strange reason, the CUC does not touch. Every month or so I manually pull the excess off but It's not really that unsightly to me. And, besides, my Mandarins love those spots because they harbor various sized pods. Maybe one day the Sea Hare may get around to those few little patches but until then, I'm not gonna worry about it.

20191007_100029.jpg

Jimh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano tank, so when water charges and feeding doesn’t work , it’s time to break down the tank , scrub the rocks , cleaned tank, sand and restart. I have only down this twice and I have pretty much have been able to get rid of all algae. I will be moving the tank upstairs so I will perform another breakdown.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't stop reefing, but I could imagine getting so frustrated that I decide to go nuclear on there tank and start it over if I had an algae problem I couldn't overcome.

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people leave / give up because getting nuisance algae under control can take a lot of work. I've battled A LOT of algae / nuisance macro algae over the years, and ultimately, I found manual removal is a key factor in getting a hand on the battle many times. Managing water parameters and upping clean up crew only goes so far. There were days I spent 8 hours removing rocks and tediously using tweezers/toothbrush to remove algae - not everyone is up for that kind of work or has the time (I have to make time myself). Once that's done, management still comes into play- I still manually remove bubble algae spots when it pops up and have a few other spots with some macros that I keep an eye for manual removal. My 6 -7 year old tank is also very filled in now, which I'm sure helps to keep algae at bay as well.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think part of being a novice in anything, not just reefing, is to overreact to both the good and the bad. OH MY GOD, IS THAT AN ARPTASA …. IM SO FE-REAKED OUT I CANT EVEN SPELL IT RIGHT ..... We all go through it of course .....

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling most of the problems are due to the rock chosen. My live rock in my current tank except for pieces that came with anemones on them has to be 15 years old now. It has been kept in a bucket for years at one point with water, put into muriatic acid before going into my current tank, and known not to have issues. I am not a big fan of all fresh live rock now days. One or two pieces to seed the tank is enough and they can be quite small and inspected.

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing is like life.....a long series of problems that must be solved. Nuisance algae is just one of those things that eventually happens to everyone.....like a flat tire. Part of the joy of reefing (at least to me) is finding solutions to those problems and the feeling of satisfaction when I do. Yet another reason to love the R2R forums.....learning from others trials and errors.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back