Do peppermint shrimp eat starfish?

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 24, 2019
Messages
1,642
Reaction score
1,332
Location
Williamstown NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I introduced 3 blue micro brittlestars into my tank and I noticed one of my peppermint shrimp harassing one of the stars. I brushed the shrimp away and he seemed to leave the star alone after that. Did I jus make a mistake and introduce an expensive snack for my shrimp?
 
Pretty sure they're just scavengers.
 
I have two peppermint shrimp and a chocolate chip star and they ignore each other.
 
I tossed some asterinas in with some harlequins mixed with peppermints. To my surprise, a peppermint shrimp was the first to grab one and chowed down on it!
 
Actually, this may be species dependent, but at least some species of peppermint shrimp (Lysmata spp.) will in fact prey on small starfish. Based on the limited research I've found on the matter, though, it seems that they leave big starfish alone. For example, in the study linked below, Lysmata vittata preyed upon juvenile Crown of Thorns Sea Stars (killing the stars and consuming them entirely) until the stars were four months old, and even then the attacks continued after four months old in "partial predation" incidents:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...Lysmata_vittata_dependent_on_age_size_or_diet
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new