Do peps really eat aiptasia?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter xmjxflipx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have a copperband butterfly in my reef tank, I have heard good and bad about this(depends on the fish) but the little guy does his job...He cleared my tank of aptasia and then I move him to another tank when he was finished. Wasnt going to tempt him with my acans, etc. Good luck....also I have heard of berghia nudibranches taking care of them as well.
Scott
 
So this is what I have. I can see two so far. I probably have more.



So what to do.

Shrimp?
Kalk paste injected?
Lemon Juice injected?

????
 
You can also pluck them off the rock with tweezers, that one is pretty big so you should not have any problems grabbin that lil sucker!
 
the problem with picking is the remains grow back....scraping the remains is even worse as every little piece will likely grow and sread all over. Best method is chipping off a nic chunk of the rock that houses it, even with the peps, if the aip is anchored deep in a rock, it'll only eat what it can reach.
 
the problem with picking is the remains grow back....scraping the remains is even worse as every little piece will likely grow and sread all over. Best method is chipping off a nic chunk of the rock that houses it, even with the peps, if the aip is anchored deep in a rock, it'll only eat what it can reach.

+1. Don't pick them off.
 
I know this is a pretty old post. But my peppermint shrimp died a month ago. And now I see about 5 aiptasia babies. Just picked this guy up at the LFS. He looks like A, D, or E. But I cannot tell. What do you guys think?

Hope it works. I will post the results tomorrow, hopefully good news.

1bbc6278.jpg
 
Last edited:
What does "A, D, or E" mean?

Here ya go, a page back...:bigsmile:

Worked for me, bought one Peppermint and he ate all my aiptasia - about 5 or 6 of them. A couple were fairly sizable and I figured they were too big for him but he got them anyways, took him two days. I think it's important to get the right species of peppermint as to if they will eat them or not, Lysmata Wurdemanni is the one you want.
This image helped when I went to the LFS..
They are:
(A) Lysmata wurdemanni (Gibbes).
(B) Lysmata rathbunae Chace.
(C) Lysmata ankeri new species.
(D) Lysmata boggessi new species.
(E) Lysmata pederseni new species.
(F) Lysmata bahia new species.
peppermintsid.jpg
 
I had a bunch of rock full of aptasia, I put in 3 peppermint shrimp and they ate all of the aptasia within a week and after about 3 months now they have not bothered anything else in my tank including zoas!
 
mine have never touched the stuff but for that matter i feed my tank regularly so they may not be hungry, also ive read they will not go after any aptasia larger than a button because the risks outweigh the benefits for them
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new