Do phosphate filter media/remover work well?

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would using the following phosphate treatments (together at the same time) really remove all the phosphate from the water?

Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-E - Liquid Phosphate Remover for Marine Fish and Reef Aquarium 12...jpg

Fluval ClearMax Phosphate Remover, Chemical Filter Media for Aquariums, 100-gram Nylon Bags.jpg

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate-E is Lanthanum chloride, one of the most effective methods of precipitating/removing phosphates. It can be to efficient, so if you decide to use it-do some research how to use it.
Not familiar with other one.
GFO works also well, but it have to be used in media reactor.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would using the following phosphate treatments (together at the same time) really remove all the phosphate from the water?

Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-E - Liquid Phosphate Remover for Marine Fish and Reef Aquarium 12...jpg

Fluval ClearMax Phosphate Remover, Chemical Filter Media for Aquariums, 100-gram Nylon Bags.jpg
I would not be using two products at the same time as it would be difficult to control.

How big is the tank?

Lanthanum Chloride is a very effective method of Phosphate removal but can cause issues with Tangs and is best for large tanks operated by experienced reefers.

Aluminum based Phosphate removers are better for anything smaller than 75 gallons.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I am remembering your previous posts correctly, your tank is extremely new. There is no reason to use either of these products yet (if at all).

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Removing all phosphate should never be a goal for a reef aquarium, and either product alone, in sufficiently large amounts, will remove it to levels lower than desirable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, do these phosphate removers work as good as RODI filters when it comes to removing phosphate from tap water?

They can work better (if you use enough) than an RO/DI for removing phosphate from tap water, but I don't generally think that is needed or useful. RO/DI at 0 ppm TDS removes enough so that any you might measure (say, 0.05 ppm) is an insignificant contributor to the phosphate balance of a reef tank relative to foods, and RO/DI removes other stuff, such as copper.

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can work better (if you use enough) than an RO/DI for removing phosphate from tap water, but I don't generally think that is needed or useful. RO/DI at 0 ppm TDS removes enough so that any you might measure (say, 0.05 ppm) is an insignificant contributor to the phosphate balance of a reef tank relative to foods, and RO/DI removes other stuff, such as copper.
In regards to the copper issue, do water conditioners such as Prime actually detoxify heavy metals as indicated on their bottle label? I’m thinking that water conditioners would remove or lessen the copper in the water. Can anybody confirm?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to the copper issue, do water conditioners such as Prime actually detoxify heavy metals as indicated on their bottle label? I’m thinking that water conditioners would remove or lessen the copper in the water. Can anybody confirm?
The ONLY thing Prime is good for is dechlorination. Afaik, water conditioners do not remove copper.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your recent questions because you don't want to invest in an RODI unit?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not assume that is accurate (Seachem often provides incorrect ideas about their products) and copper is a main reason to want RO/DI on tap water.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will carbon remove the copper from the water?
Reverse osmosis/deionization is by and far the best way to remove copper. Carbon will not. There is a product called CupriSorb that will, but it will get very expensive to treat all your tapwater with it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will carbon remove the copper from the water?

RO/DI is the way. You are not going to discover a better and cheaper way to purify tap water that we all missed for the last 30 years. lol

OP
OP
homersimpsonlikesfish

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse osmosis/deionization is by and far the best way to remove copper. Carbon will not. There is a product called CupriSorb that will, but it will get very expensive to treat all your tapwater with it
But according to this posting carbon will remove the copper:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But according to this posting carbon will remove the copper:

That poster was asking if keeping carbon in his tank would interfere with a therapeutic level of copper, not about whether carbon can remove copper from tapwater

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back