Do RODI systems remove alkalinity?

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start mixing my own water and one of the concerns I have about my water is its high dkh. Will a 7-stage RODI system remove the alkalinity?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've been having problems with my LFS water being well over 20 dkh and want to just start mixing my own water.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start mixing my own water and one of the concerns I have about my water is its high dkh. Will a 7-stage RODI system remove the alkalinity?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've been having problems with my LFS water being well over 20 dkh and want to just start mixing my own water.
Yes it should with resins.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As others have said pure rodi water will have alk of 0. If you LFS is selling saltwater with a dkh of 20 i would be concerned and upset if that is really accurate. It would seem the only way to get to that is use a high dkh salt and use tapwater for their mix. I mean its a great way to save money since filters and waste water really cut into margins i am sure.....but that is ridiculous. Again that is assuming the 20dkh is valid and not testing error.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t go wrong with your own RODI over hauling water from a store (and 20 DKH is…fishy). Well you can but not if you install it right lol. I went with this system and I love it. I mean it makes RODI water sure, but what I love is the drinking water tap on my sink. Going this route it’s dual purpose and the drinking water stage is hands down the best tasting water ever, especially cold but warm too. Multiple blind taste tests with guests using multiple bottled waters and this water is either number 1 or 2 every time. Of course any RODI system will work fine, but I always like to throw this option out there because of just how great the drinking water is. My next project is to hook it up to my fridge.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said pure rodi water will have alk of 0. If you LFS is selling saltwater with a dkh of 20 i would be concerned and upset if that is really accurate. It would seem the only way to get to that is use a high dkh salt and use tapwater for their mix. I mean its a great way to save money since filters and waste water really cut into margins i am sure.....but that is ridiculous. Again that is assuming the 20dkh is valid and not testing error.
I did about 4 separate tests using clean test vials for each and a separate pipette for each just to rule out contamination or anything.

First 2 tests I did with an API test and they both ended at 21 dkh. I then used a Hanna alkalinity tester on my tank water and then the actual 5 gallon water jug that the saltwater from the LFS comes from and they both read over 20 dkh (the max limit for testing on Hanna is only up to 20 dkh so I dont know how high it really is.

Their salinity also never goes higher then 31 ppt so I'm also concerned about that. I can definitely tell that my zoas are struggling.

I get a red sea test kit tomorrow so I'll do a 5th and 6th test but I have a feeling it won't be any different.

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have another LFS that you trust? Take a sample of the water to them for testing. 20 Alk seems absurdly high.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have another LFS that you trust? Take a sample of the water to them for testing. 20 Alk seems absurdly high.
Sadly I don't. Next nearest place is over an hour away from me so I feel like RODI is the safest and more cost effective action.

I'd be spending $15-20 a week on the water going up, and gas would be $50 each time. I feel like the RODI system would start basically paying for itself in a few months or so and give me some peace of mind knowing exactly where my parameters are at since I'm doing the mixing myself.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all that high you could dose it instead of soda ash.

Danikay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you ever figure out what was going on? My tank reads a very high alkalinity reading.

I did about 4 separate tests using clean test vials for each and a separate pipette for each just to rule out contamination or anything.

First 2 tests I did with an API test and they both ended at 21 dkh. I then used a Hanna alkalinity tester on my tank water and then the actual 5 gallon water jug that the saltwater from the LFS comes from and they both read over 20 dkh (the max limit for testing on Hanna is only up to 20 dkh so I dont know how high it really is.

Their salinity also never goes higher then 31 ppt so I'm also concerned about that. I can definitely tell that my zoas are struggling.

I get a red sea test kit tomorrow so I'll do a 5th and 6th test but I have a feeling it won't be any different.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back