do seaweed, algae need high alkalinity?

sungyoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm using low alkalinity salt
i wonder if seaweed, algae need high level of alkalinity
and how to say these in english. algae? seaweed?
what would i search in english to see other's tank
KakaoTalk_20240114_200155844.jpg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. As long as it’s close to what sea water is

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instant Ocean which is low in calcium and alkalinity and I can grow lots of macro algae. If you are trying to grow the calcareous algae then you might need a salt higher in calcium and alkalinity.
IMG_20231204_144218337.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting question, but the simplistic answer is that 7 dKH is perfectly fine.

A different question is whether 10 dKH might or might not be better.

It boils down to whether the macroalgae is getting CO2 from CO2, or from bicarbonate. It seems there are some of each type:. That question also has a bearing on what pH is optimal for any given species.

Photosynthesis and the Reef Aquarium, Part I: Carbon Sources by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Photosynthesis of Macroalgae as a Function of pH
One of the side effects of the necessity of taking up carbon dioxide to photosynthesize is that pH may affect the rate of photosynthesis, because the amount of carbon dioxide (as CO2 or H2CO3) in the water varies with pH. Assuming constant carbonate alkalinity, the effect is quite strong. A drop of 0.3 pH units implies a doubling of the carbon dioxide concentration. A reef aquarium at pH 8.5, for example, has one fourth the carbon dioxide of a reef aquarium at pH 7.9, assuming the carbonate alkalinity is the same.

Aquarists may rightly wonder whether organisms are able to photosynthesize efficiently as the pH is raised. The answer is mixed. Some can and some cannot. Those organisms that rely solely on carbon dioxide may not. Those that rely on both carbon dioxide and bicarbonate have a better chance of retaining efficiency at higher pH because a much larger amount of bicarbonate is present, and it does not change as rapidly with pH over the range of interest to aquarists.

Table 1 shows the response of a variety of macroalgae in terms of their ability to photosynthesize at pH 8.1 and 8.7. In seawater with constant carbonate alkalinity, there is 20% as much carbon dioxide at pH 8.7 as at pH 8.1, so an organism relying on carbon dioxide alone might experience a large drop in photosynthetic rate over this range. Clearly, the response varies with species. Chaetomorpha aerea, in particular, may be of substantial interest to aquarists. It is not necessarily the exact species that many grow in refugia (which is unidentified as far as I can tell), but this species of Chaetomorpha shows a 25% drop in photosynthesis when exposed to the higher pH. That drop is not as large as some other species, but may still be important, and it is more than many other species of macroalgae.

Of course, the photosynthesis rate does not necessarily translate to growth rates. If other nutrients are limiting growth (nitrogen, phosphorus, iron, etc.), then it may not matter if the rate of photosynthesis is reduced at higher pH. But because these nutrients are often present in surplus in reef aquaria, it may well be that carbon uptake is limiting in some cases, and in those cases aquarists might benefit from ensuring that the pH is not too high.

Table 1. Relative rates of photosynthesis19 in seawater (measured by oxygen evolution) at pH 8.7 relative to pH 8.0. A value of 100 means that the rates were the same, and values below 100 indicate less photosynthesis at pH 8.7.

Species of macroalgae:
Relative photosynthesis at pH 8.7 compared to pH 8.1 (as a %):​
Chaetomorpha aerea
75​
Cladophora rupestris
100​
Enteromorpha compressa
67​
Ulva rigida
100​
Codium fragile
76​
Asparagopsis armata
45​
Gelidium pusillum
33​
Gelidium sesquipedale
18​
Gymnogongrus sp.
39​
Osmunda pinnatifida
46​
Porphyra leucosticta
110​
Fucus spiralis
86​
Colpomenia sinuosa
100​
Dictyota dichotoma
53​
Cystoseira tamariscifolia
57​
Padina pavonia
53​

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how to say these in english. algae? seaweed?
what would i search in english to see other's tank
We typically call them macroalgae (algae and seaweed both work, but calling them macro/macros/macroalgae seems to be a bit more specific when you're meaning ornamental algae for reef tanks).

I'd suggest searching "macros" or "macroalgae" if you're just looking for any kind; if you're looking for a specific kind - like "Sea Lettuce" (Ulva spp.) for example - then I'd suggest searching for those specific names (i.e. for "sea lettuce" or "ulva").

Edit: Forgot to add, the forum linked below is a good place to start looking for these:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back