"Temperate" native marine aquarium + suggested critters

MstrPhtm142

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my nano marine tank almost a month ago, like I mentioned in my first posts. The sand and water were collected from a beach (as well as some more sand and seaweed from my sealed sea ecosphere) and rocks. I already mentioned that its in an ugly phase. I also mentioned that it didn't have a chiller or a heater so that can be truly something. There's like these tiny critters and worms on the glass too.

I do, of course, plan on adding more washed up seaweed, especially the sea lettuce and other red algae. And maybe some anemones.

So, what are some other creatures would you recommend putting in this tank? Legal (even in a beach that isn't marine protected)?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread 'Uk cold water rock pool' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uk-cold-water-rock-pool.987271/

Check this thread out.

Depending on where you are located, you may be able to collect certain things. Look into fish and wildlife laws/licenses for the area you live, some things like crabs and fish may have minimum sizes and some may be bait species that you could harvest freely.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept all of these for many years in a Local New York tank.

Chitens

Tiny, horseshoe crabs.

Mud snails

Rock crabs. these are very cool

Local urchins.

Hermit crabs

Fiddler crabs. But these need a place to get out of the water like a sand bar.

Amphipods

Blowfish, puffers, eels, burrfish, killies, and grass shrimp

Baby flounders. May not be legal. (this is a fluke)

Seahorses and pipefish

OP
OP
M

MstrPhtm142

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread 'Uk cold water rock pool' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uk-cold-water-rock-pool.987271/

Check this thread out.

Depending on where you are located, you may be able to collect certain things. Look into fish and wildlife laws/licenses for the area you live, some things like crabs and fish may have minimum sizes and some may be bait species that you could harvest freely.
Let's say that I am collecting stuff at California beaches that aren't marine protected areas. May I still need a license? (will only collect very few and smaller specimens)

Btw, I actually watched lots of videos about native marine tanks. They're absolutely amazing :D

OP
OP
M

MstrPhtm142

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept all of these for many years in a Local New York tank.

Chitens

Tiny, horseshoe crabs.

Mud snails

Rock crabs. these are very cool

Local urchins.

Hermit crabs

Fiddler crabs. But these need a place to get out of the water like a sand bar.

Amphipods

Blowfish, puffers, eels, burrfish, killies, and grass shrimp

Baby flounders. May not be legal. (this is a fluke)

Seahorses and pipefish
Very cool stuff

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say that I am collecting stuff at California beaches that aren't marine protected areas. May I still need a license? (will only collect very few and smaller specimens)

Btw, I actually watched lots of videos about native marine tanks. They're absolutely amazing :D
Here's a link to California laws https://wildlife.ca.gov/Fishing/Ocean

I can't answer whether you need a license to grab snails, baitfish or seaweed, hopefully that is addressed somewhere.

Edit: It looks like you will need a resident license for collecting crabs, shellfish, etc. Yearly is around $60, but it looks like a three day is around $30. Think of it as a donation to the conservation/management of the fishery resource.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also mentioned that it didn't have a chiller or a heater so that can be truly something.
What temperature is your tank's water and what range do you expect it to hit throughout the year?

Some specimens can survive high/low temps for a while but die prematurely if they're kept in temps outside of their preferred range, so when setting up temperate/coldwater tanks it's important to have a temp range in mind.
Let's say that I am collecting stuff at California beaches
Matsu Collections sells California native specimens - a lot of the critters (especially fish) are too big for basically anything but monster tanks, but there are a handful that would work. A lot of the East coast native coldwater shops no longer sell to the public, but for really coldwater specimens, Gulf of Maine still sells a pretty good selection.

OP
OP
M

MstrPhtm142

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temperature is your tank's water and what range do you expect it to hit throughout the year?

Matsu Collections sells California native specimens - a lot of the critters (especially fish) are too big for basically anything but monster tanks, but there are a handful that would work.
The temperature ranges from mid to high 60s (winter) to 80s (summer) and sometimes 90s (especially during fall) so i have extremely limited choices. Or probably no animal may survive. (The creatures im adding supposed to be from the high intertidal zones)

Also, I don't plan on adding any form of fish, even smaller ones such as gobies. It's more of an invert tank.

Thanks for the question though.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back