Do shrimp require spot feeding?

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two skunk cleaner shrimp in my 130gal display and would like to add a third plus two blood shrimp. If I feed the tank fairly heavily will these guys eat enough or should I throw something in for them? If so what would you suggest? I was thinking of a mussel or the like which I could drop in at night.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are anything like mine, they will never go hungry! My skunk will swim up to compete with the fish at feeding time and then constantly scavenge or steal food the rest of the time.
I've only had mine for a couple months and thus far they hang out under an overhanging rock most of the day. I do see them roaming at night.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't need to be spot fed, but if you want to feed your corals, you really should feed them directly so they don't just go taking the corals' share. They are pretty adept scavengers and are most exploratory at night, so provided you're regularly feeding the tank, they should have no problems eating, especially in a large tank.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't need to be spot fed, but if you want to feed your corals, you really should feed them directly so they don't just go taking the corals' share. They are pretty adept scavengers and are most exploratory at night, so provided you're regularly feeding the tank, they should have no problems eating, especially in a large tank.
No corals "yet" but fish get fed plenty!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have two skunk cleaner shrimp in my 130gal display and would like to add a third plus two blood shrimp. If I feed the tank fairly heavily will these guys eat enough or should I throw something in for them? If so what would you suggest? I was thinking of a mussel or the like which I could drop in at night.
They are scavengers and will find food on their own

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy shrimp but was cautious about getting any as I have a Flame Hawk in the tank. Thus far he's been very well behaved lol!

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but I have found that shrimp love the piscine energetics pellet food. If you're concerned that you aren't seeing them eat, they will definitely go to the pellets once they've dropped to the floor or rocks.

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 skunks and 1 blood red shrimp they all go crazy and swim around when food enters the tank. Never needed spot feeding.

However maybe pistol shrimp I would spot feed. I had one go missing while all other inverts where fine and I suspect it didn't get enough food.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back