Do some fish scratch but not have ick?

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that some fish seem to scratch themselves against the sand bed every once in a while and it seems territorial to me but was not sure if that was a "thing" so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone knew.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that they are just itching. Flashing is a common symptom of many parasites. I would keep a close eye on fish and watch for additional symptoms or spots etc. If you are seeing multiple fish do this, especially watch them closely.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t quarantine your fish a near 100% chance your tank has ich or another parasite. This (and other normal reasons) can lead to scratching :)

Since I’ve properly treated and quarantined my fish I haven’t seen any scratching at all, whereby it used to be a common occurrence.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A scratch here & there is no real cause for concern. However, when a fish is repeatedly rubbing itself on a rock or sand some irritant has to be causing that. Usually a parasite or worm feeding on them that they wish to dislodge. The one exception to this is Hippo Tangs: I've seen those rub themselves repeatedly for no apparent reason. Weird fish. :confused:

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies.
I've only observed it maybe 3 times in the last few months so probably not a concern and I've only seen it when the fish are being slightly territorial to each other.
I will continue to observe and let you know if anything changes.

OP
OP
Injoynit

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for bumping this @Fowler freak
Over the last year and a half I have noticed some fish do scrape themselves on the sand bed and to no ill effect for them. I believe it is a territorial display, at least in Jaw fish, as i have a mated pair and the female does it the most.

Also, these are the same fish I was asking about a year and a half ago. So they are doing great.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to an aggression or territorial display. Certain fish will bump things when wanting to make a statement. For example, my Powder Brown Tang does it when wanting to prove a point. It Always and Only does it against a smooth larger decorative shell in the tank. My Star Blenny does the same thing but Always and Only in the sand. Mostly in the same spot. Neither of them do it on a daily basis. Maybe a few times a week.

If multiple fish are doing it though I'd watch them carefully.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back