Do Stylaphora Shed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Treefer32
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2013
Messages
1,544
Reaction score
1,031
Location
Fargo, ND
What state or country do you live in
North Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was strange, I was planning to frag some of my SPS today. I looked to see a branch of one of my stylaphora laying on the sand bed. It was 2" branch or so, just laying on the sand, I look directly above it and see where the branch broke off. Do some SPS "shed" for lack of a better term or is it more likely a fish ran into it and broke it off (either unintentionally or intentionally)? The stylaphora looks the healthiest it's ever looked. So, just curious if they do this once in a while. I glued the frag on to a frag plug and placed in frag rack. It's polyps were extending once I gave it a few minutes alone, so it seems to be a healthy branch. Just sheared off.
 
No. The tissue has separated and is dead.

The stylo is definitely unhappy. Work to determine the origin of the stressor, it could be to late depending on the cause of the stress.
 
Something caused it to break off as they do not drop branches on their own. Most likely a fish or possibly you did it by accident.

I don’t think the person who posted the previous reply read your post, lol.
 
Something caused it to break off as they do not drop branches on their own. Most likely a fish or possibly you did it by accident.

I don’t think the person who posted the previous reply read your post, lol.
I agree. I'm thinking a fish must have done it then. Grrr. I was wondering if there's a fish nipping or attacking corals. Or the branch grew too long and got in it's swimming path. Either way, the coral and the branch are doing well and have been looking great. So, No comment on tissue being dead. Lol. It's most definitely alive.
 
Happens all the time in my tank. Big obnoxious fish cleave branches off with regularity. No sps naturally drop branches without something breaking them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new