Do you actually introduce GHA into your tank?

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about one of my 1st SPS francs had some algae on it. Obviously I now know that you should either clean off the plug with hydrogen peroxide or just remove the plug completely. I just wonder if I introduced this annoying nuisance into my tank or would it have occurred anyway.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater or saltwater, algae spores can come in on any livestock or plants you put in your tank. And on anything you share between tanks. Or on your hands from tank to tank. Algae is a survivor! :eek:

Ooooo, wait! I forgot to mention the spores that blow in the wind!.... Algae is also a royal pain!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BiggestE222

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some that I am trying to polish off. My algae reactor is not running as good as before and I have like .18 phosphate. I am adding some asters snails to the 8 turbo snails I have. Really want to avoid GFO. My monti’s and birds nests are growing great. I run my KH around 12 so I need some nutrients in the tank.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the GHA gotten too long for the snails to eat? They don't like the "old" stuff. You'll have to pull it out by hand to make it short enough for the snails to eat. Or toothbrush areas while syphoning the debris off.

If you're adding more snails, is there enough for all of them to eat? They could all starve, die, and pollute your tank. (Snails also reek when they die..yuk!) JFYI, I'm a total trochus fan.

As for your algae reactor, I don't have one, but I know from others it can clog up with gunk reducing light to the algae. Have you cleaned it recently?

If you montis and birdsnest are doing great, I'd hold my breath and not do too much of anything new.... :p

Good luck!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back