Do you agree with my fish stocking in my 55 gallon FOWLR?

Is or will my tank become overstocked?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 55 gallon FOWLR tank and I have most of the fish I want in quarantine but I was wondering if I could get more. I don’t want to overstock my tank though so can you help me figure out if I should still get the other fish I want or just stick with the ones I have. I already have 2 fancy ocellaris clowns, 2 banggai cardinals, 1 orchid Dottyback and 1 medium size flame angel. That’s only 6 fish and they are all currently living in a 29 gallon quarantine tank that looks empty most of the time.
Do you think I could get 1 more banggai cardinal that way I can eventually have 3 in my 55 gallon. Also do you think there is also room left for 3 green chromis I don’t need them but they would be nice to have. Over all if I got the additional fish I wanted that would add up to 10 fish. I do also have inverts in my 55 gallon, I have 2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, 3 turbo snails and 6 blue legged hermits. Do you think my tank would me over stocked. I have two 70 gallon hang on back filters and a cheap protein skimmer big enough for a 75 gallon tank that has yet to break in as my main filtration. My tank is also 5 months old with 40 lbs of what was dry rock but is now live and 35 lbs of sand.

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 55 gallon FOWLR tank and I have most of the fish I want in quarantine but I was wondering if I could get more. I don’t want to overstock my tank though so can you help me figure out if I should still get the other fish I want or just stick with the ones I have. I already have 2 fancy ocellaris clowns, 2 banggai cardinals, 1 orchid Dottyback and 1 medium size flame angel. That’s only 6 fish and they are all currently living in a 29 gallon quarantine tank that looks empty most of the time.
Do you think I could get 1 more banggai cardinal that way I can eventually have 3 in my 55 gallon. Also do you think there is also room left for 3 green chromis I don’t need them but they would be nice to have. Over all if I got the additional fish I wanted that would add up to 10 fish. I do also have inverts in my 55 gallon, I have 2 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp, 3 turbo snails and 6 blue legged hermits. Do you think my tank would me over stocked. I have two 70 gallon hang on back filters and a cheap protein skimmer big enough for a 75 gallon tank that has yet to break in as my main filtration. My tank is also 5 months old with 40 lbs of what was dry rock but is now live and 35 lbs of sand.

Hello and welcome! I think you would be safe adding the other banggai, but not the chromis. I would add the banggai into quarantine now tho, that way the 3 can get used to each other. If you add it later, the angel and dotty may harass it as well. Also adding all those fish at once may cause a huge spike in ammonia,nitrates etc.... because you bio-filters aren't ready. The bacteria needs a chance to grow. I suggest adding fish slowly from your quarantine, starting with the pajamas, and ending with flame angel.

OP
OP
Shane808262

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome! I think you would be safe adding the other banggai, but not the chromis. I would add the banggai into quarantine now tho, that way the 3 can get used to each other. If you add it later, the angel and dotty may harass it as well. Also adding all those fish at once may cause a huge spike in ammonia,nitrates etc.... because you bio-filters aren't ready. The bacteria needs a chance to grow. I suggest adding fish slowly from your quarantine, starting with the pajamas, and ending with flame angel.
Sorry yea I forgot to mention that I was going to add them in slowly starting with the clowns then banggai cardinals and lastly the angel and orchid Dottyback.

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry yea I forgot to mention that I was going to add them in slowly starting with the clowns then banggai cardinals and lastly the angel and orchid Dottyback.

Sounds like you're doing great! Remember, research never ends ;Bookworm

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 55 , You should be fine
E521FACA-4108-41CE-BD91-0B7B0FBF626D.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with the others.

2 bangaii will most likely pair and kill a third eventually. Pajama cardinals could potentially be added.
Tank is too small for a flame angel long term, imo. A flameback or cherub could live out its entire life in a 55 though.

Chromis will be fine. Sometimes they pick each other off, though, and people get disappointed with that.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Flame could do okay long term in a 55 gallon. It's the 4 foot length that is important with dwarf angels. The Chromis I would skip. Go Zebra barred dartfish if you want a couple or few. I like the option above with a small butterflyfish although not sure if the Flame will take issue with them. The Spotband would be high on my list if I had a 4 foot long FOWLR:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+25+223&pcatid=223

OP
OP
Shane808262

Shane808262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Flame could do okay long term in a 55 gallon. It's the 4 foot length that is important with dwarf angels. The Chromis I would skip. Go Zebra barred dartfish if you want a couple or few. I like the option above with a small butterflyfish although not sure if the Flame will take issue with them. The Spotband would be high on my list if I had a 4 foot long FOWLR:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+25+223&pcatid=223
I actually did have a Klein, panda and lemon butterfly in the tank but I lost them to ich so I am restarting and going to quarantine properly this time. Don’t believe fish stores when they say the fish has alreybeen through quarantine. Just waiting for my follow period to end. I Might get another Klein butterfly they are only $8 at my LFS size don’t matter. Think I should go for it or no that would be too much.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your stock list sounds fine but I would scrap the chromis (eventually you will only have 1 anyway) and pick something else like firefish or blenny dartfish. I have 2 Banggais and 1 pajama and mine get along fine, idk about 3 banggais though bc a Male and a female will typically pair off and then pick off the 3rd.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back