Do you consider SPS dominated tanks difficult to maintain and keep healthy?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,880
Reaction score
122,575
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you consider SPS dominated tanks difficult to maintain and keep healthy?
What do you think makes them more difficult?
Why do you think they are in fact NOT harder to maintain?


Wonseok Choi's beautiful reef via @Orphek
1716912653831.png
 
Yes and no. For me, it was tough at first. My goal for the 75 gallon SPS tank was always to be SPS only coral. I wanted to see if I could grow them. After cycling the tank with live sand and dry rock for four months, I decided to add about 10 SPS frags. I lost over half of them within a month or two. It wasn’t until about a year later that I could keep sps frags healthy. Now 5 1/2 years later, they just don’t stop growing. I automate dosing and testing because of my work schedule. SPS coral have become my favorite, with a close second to zoas.
Stability and patience are needed for SPS coral. As well as doing the maintenance when it needs to be done.

2020-One year old
IMG_0011.jpeg

May 2024
IMG_5063.jpeg
 
Yes and no. For me, it was tough at first. My goal for the 75 gallon SPS tank was always to be SPS only coral. I wanted to see if I could grow them. After cycling the tank with live sand and dry rock for four months, I decided to add about 10 SPS frags. I lost over half of them within a month or two. It wasn’t until about a year later that I could keep sps frags healthy. Now 5 1/2 years later, they just don’t stop growing. I automate dosing and testing because of my work schedule. SPS coral have become my favorite, with a close second to zoas.
Stability and patience are needed for SPS coral. As well as doing the maintenance when it needs to be done.

2020-One year old
IMG_0011.jpeg

May 2024
IMG_5063.jpeg

Showoff.....I LOVE IT!
 
Showoff.....I LOVE IT!
Lol! To me it is just a tank that anyone can have similar success with. And that’s what I aim to help others do if they want. SPS coral aren’t all “flowy” or “showy”, but I think they are the most rewarding to grow.
 
Yeah I don't deal with sps for now, but eventually I'll end up getting some
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new