Do you consider SW and FW to be different hobbies?

Do you consider keeping SW aquariums and FW aquariums to be different hobbies?

• They are different

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • They are the same

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
freshwater is a gateway drug, to a more severe addiction... lol
You Got It Yes GIF by NETFLIX

That's how I got addicted! :p ;Greedy

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure they're different, but I think the OP is asking if they should be classified as completely different hobbies. It's all part of the aquarium hobby, FW and SW are just subsets of it
I'd hate to assume your gender, but thanks for the mansplain. I understood what was being asked and responded with my opinion.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the are the same hobby just different subsets like many others here.

I’ve kept simple planted tanks for over a decade and have had my reef tank close to two years now. While they have their differences they are basically the same when you step back and look at them. Animals in a box full of water. Both have their own subsets that can be difficult co2 planted tank vs a normal simple reef I would say is actually very similar. I believe you could match up both fresh and saltwater in just about every category maybe besides a full blown sps reef.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd hate to assume your gender, but thanks for the mansplain. I understood what was being asked and responded with my opinion.
If mansplaining means a male explaining something then sure! If you meant otherwise then you're wrong by definition. ;Joyful Someone woke up on the wrong side of the deep sand bed ;Joyful

SilverBulletPRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they can both be equally challenging especially if you get into the more advance FW things such as a planted FW tank with fish and shrimp where you have to maintain parameters for those super sensitive shrimps while dosing enough nutrients and CO 2 for the plants to grow without suffocating everything else. Then as usual, looking for the right amount of flow without uprooting your whole tank. Plus algae.... those lights grow algae like no other

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back