Do you consider yourself an SPS Expert? If so, please click here!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys and gals with SPS Skillz! We're looking for folks who will help us with SPS questions and issues! If you know how to keep sticks growing and thriving, please be sure to click on the hashtag #SPSexperts and subscribe to it so that our community can use that hashtag to call on you all to get good answers to their SPS questions! We value your experience and thank you in advance for helping our community!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would say that I am an expert, but I am certainly willing to help if I can.
Thanks so much! Just click on the hashtag and then in the dialogue window click "watch tag" so that you'll be notified when that hashtag is used. :)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this again! If you know a good bit about SPS care, PLEASE subscribe to this hashtag #SPSexperts !

Last edited:

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread @mdbannister .. We need a consolidation of all SPS experts especially acros along with their personal mobile numbers so that we can message , call and do facetime if needed anytime necessary even in the middle of night to know what's going on with my favorite acro :D:D:D:p

JUST KIDDING !!!!

Seriously , awesome thread !!!!

Regards,
Abhishek

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will bayers kill pest that are living on the corals aswell as their eggs? If I am receiving corals from liveaquaria - who already QA and dipps all there corals, should I even bother putting these guys through dipping? whats the likely hood to introduce pest after these guys doing this? I will be putting all other purchases corals through multiple dips for sure.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should dip every coral mainly sps no matter where they come from the best sps dealers. Liveaquaria - definitely I would dip .. Bayer will never kill eggs but I always make sure to frag the sps off the rock or the frag plug as eggs are mostly attached to the base of the frag plug.

Regards,
Abhishek

james983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe only Divers Den dips and QTs their corals which is why you pay more. Best course of action is QT at home.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe only Divers Den dips and QTs their corals which is why you pay more. Best course of action is QT at home.
I think the Drivers den statement makes sense but if your liveaquaria and your tanks have corals coming in and out from the wild, you will be diligent on all your livestock. However, like others suggest, eggs will be in the plug and they plug will ultimately need to be removed

james983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I don't dip until I see signs of pests while in QT, and I usually remove the plug unless the frag has encrusted a decent amount.

james983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually a newly cut frag will come right off the plug. I won't cut an encrusted frag unless it's got bugs.

But, after I remove the frag I usually glue it onto a new plug to sit in qt.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Procedure that is best for me. Been doing this for years. I keep mostly acros
1) No matter what, cut Coral off the plug. Toss the encrusted Coral and plug.
2) Place Coral into dip container with tank water. Inspect with magnifying glass and look for pests. Use bastor and blast it to check for AEFW.
3)10 ml of Bayer per cup of tank water for 20 min
4) Move Coral to another container with dip free tank water 20 min
Blast it again several times with bastor and reinspect with magnifying glass
5) Repeat step 4, after 20 min put a new plug on the Coral.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dipping is one of the most important precautions you can do for your reef animals. Stock your tank for years only to add something one day that crashes your tank in 30 days.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well put Coronus - I plan on doing this to all frags and colonies regardless of where they came from. The main point here is to plug or concrete base even if its encrusted; have too many hiding places for eggs. Ultimately, the coral will heal itself and grow - introduce the AEFW and its game over.

Back