Do you dip clams

  • Thread starter Thread starter GPhiAce
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GPhiAce

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
424
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if others dip or scrub clams? What do you do before you add a clam to your tank?

In the past, I have just added my clams straight to the display. Never had a QT (I do now). I have had about 7 clams, and have only lost 1.
 
I don't dip them unless it is a extreme last resort, dipping them causes a lot of unneeded stress and can actually kill them.

I did at one time just add them to the tank without any qt and that cost me big time. I lost over 20 clams and they probably cost over $4000 as most were rare.

Now I QT all of them and scrub them thoroughly before adding them to the DT.
 
I don't dip them unless it is a extreme last resort, dipping them causes a lot of unneeded stress and can actually kill them.

I did at one time just add them to the tank without any qt and that cost me big time. I lost over 20 clams and they probably cost over $4000 as most were rare.

Now I QT all of them and scrub them thoroughly before adding them to the DT.

Do you just use a toothbrush or something else?

I thought I had pyramidalid snails once. Never saw the holes they were supposed to make and they just went away after a while. I guess my wrasses took care of them. Now I am thinking of just scrubbing and using a magnifying glass on all my clams- no dip or QT. My lights are not strong enough on my QT for now.

Anyone else???
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new