do you ever replace bulkheads?

c2l2parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see where my LFS recently had a leak due to a bad bulkhead. Do you ever replace bulkheads and if so, how often? How about vinyl tubing used in plumbing?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you mean for preventative maintenance? I've never replaced bulkheads, in a lot of years. Or vinyl tubing. I have cleaned out tubing before.

Welcome to Reef 2 Reef!

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a tank setup for almost 5 years with same bulkheads. Gave that tank to my brother and he is still using it with same bulkheads 3 years after I had it. So 8 year old bulkheads and plumbing. Unlike mike I have replaced tubing about every 2-4 years just when I see it looking like its calcified or browning.

OP
OP
C

c2l2parker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, good to hear, as it seem that replacing bulkheads on a display tank would be a major pain.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea wouldn't be to fun. Expecially on a rr tank you would have to empty it if the holes aren't big enough. My 75 wouldn't be bad but the 20 wouldn't be fun since I would have to redo almost all the plumbing since the bulkheads and the fitting after it are pretty much butted up

talwen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do inspect mine once every 6 months but if you don't over tighnen them you shouldnt have issues. Also replacing them could consist of emptying the whole tank which would be a huge pain.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back