Do you have to have an automatic water change system?

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I’m currently dreaming about owning a tank over 200 gallons one day. Just doing research for fun and hopefully to save me some time later. I have a 40 gallon reef tank right now, but its upkeep is obviously much different.

My question is, do you have to have an automatic water change system in place? It’s my understanding that, so long as parameters are in check, then there’s no need for a water change unless there’s an emergency of some kind. I’ve seen people set these systems up in their basement with tubing running up through the floor. Is this the best way?

I also have a couple unrelated questions. For one, what are you supposed to do when the power goes out? And, I don’t have a sump set up right now (just using an HOB filter). Can someone explain what a good sump setup might look like?

Thank you in advance for all the help. It’s been almost 3 years of owning a reef tank and I still feel like I have so much to learn!

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I do prefer to have and use awc systems on both of my tanks. However there are a lot of successful reefers that don't do waterchanges as you stated or very few. For me, I feed heavily stocked fish and coral systems so I like the idea of water being removed and replaced daily. This helps me dose less and not worry too much about trace elements or another deficiency in my water. It also helps me keep my nutrients in check which is big to me. Once again this is just my system and what I like. Either way I wish you the best of luck :)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water change does not have to be automatic . If you have a sump you can pump water out and back in and not have to carry any buckets as long as you have long hoses.
Having a back up generator or back up battery is what most people use. A search will bring up options.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back