Do you need live nitryfying bacteria?

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To do a fishless cycle do i need to add bacteria or will adding ammonia on it's own work anyway?
I'm in no rush as I dont plan to add fish until the end if jan/feb

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To do a fishless cycle do i need to add bacteria or will adding ammonia on it's own work anyway?
I'm in no rush as I dont plan to add fish until the end if jan/feb

If using live rock or sand, you do not need to add bacteria, if not using live rock or sand add a bacteria.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cycling process can take 4-12 weeks depending on many variable factors. By adding the bacteria it kick starts the process but you don't need it. There are many alternatives that provide beneficial bacteria, examples are live sand, live rock, etc.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria is in the air. If you add rock, sand, water and some ammonia, bacteria will grow. Maybe not enough to support fish. You can try and find out. 10ml of salt water from one of your LFS coral tanks would help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria is in the air. If you add rock, sand, water and some ammonia, bacteria will grow. Maybe not enough to support fish. You can try and find out. 10ml of salt water from one of your LFS coral tanks would help.
I have a tropical tank, would a very small amount of that water kick start it? I will be using RO to fill the tank so i dont imagine 10ml on non RO water will hurt will it?

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is not much bacteria in water at all. It lives and thrives on surfaces and eventually in the rock work. Keep in mind that Freshwater strains of bacteria are not the same as Saltwater. Add a saltwater strain of Dr Tim's or any other live nitrifying bacteria will speed the process up. There are other ways to speed it up as well like increasing the temp of the system. The video above from this years @MACNA of Dr Tim should help understand the process and how to get the best cycle process going.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria has a very cost effective product also check Chewy.com for Dr Tims one & only, they have it on sale periodically for a couple of bucks to keep stock fresh. I add different types in the first 6 months of any tank.

OP
OP
S

Sarah1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria has a very cost effective product also check Chewy.com for Dr Tims one & only, they have it on sale periodically for a couple of bucks to keep stock fresh. I add different types in the first 6 months of any tank.
Oh no way it is on sale but I'm in the UK so cant order from there:( thank you anyway

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bacteria are in the air and will populate your tank on their own. If your not in a hurry, add your sand, rock, and water, then add an ammonia source(ghost feeding, raw table shrimp, pure ammonia, etc). After a few weeks they will begin to grow on their own. It will take significantly more time then adding a bottle of bacteria, but that it totally up to you.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no way it is on sale but I'm in the UK so cant order from there:( thank you anyway

Sarah, give Southwest Marines a call, I can message you the number, they carry Dr Tims and other bacteria products and can talk you through it, they do post. :)

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having just gone through this (i'm at 5 weeks, with live rock and still 0.25 ammonia), I wish I'd just added the Bio spira at the beginning.

I will add it to all new tanks going forward.
What test kit are you using? The API kits are known to give a false ammonia reading of up to .25. Once you see your nitrite spike and go back to zero and you have detectable nitrates, I'd consider your cycle complete. Just remember to add livestock slowly, as you'll need to give the bacteria a chance to ramp up to the new bioload.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? The API kits are known to give a false ammonia reading of up to .25. Once you see your nitrite spike and go back to zero and you have detectable nitrates, I'd consider your cycle complete. Just remember to add livestock slowly, as you'll need to give the bacteria a chance to ramp up to the new bioload.

It’s an API kit, but:

a) it will give me a zero reading on the qt tank and my tap water, and
b) it was hitting 4ppm yesterday :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back