Do You Prefer Coral Glue or Epoxy?

Baseball#27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up guys, there are a ton of different coral glues and epoxies out there. I was wondering:

1) Do you prefer glue or epoxy & why?

2) What is your go to brand?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For frags or for aquascaping? For frags, I definitely prefer glue.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of depends on what I'm trying to secure. For something like zoa frags a little dab of LOCTITE superglue gel will work, but if it's a large piece, (with some weight to it) some JB WaterWeld epoxy along with some super glue is a better option. It's a case to case decision though basically. GL.

Last edited:

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up guys, there are a ton of different coral glues and epoxies out there. I was wondering:

All day baby

02E1884F-A58F-45F1-9B1C-508415E52630.png

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Z man. I use both for stoney and superglue gel for soft corals. I use Gorilla glue gel and Fluval epoxy. The Fluval epoxy seems to set better underwater than other brands. JB waterweld epoxy also sets well underwater but I avoid using it. It takes months to years for algae and coralline to grow on it is therefore unsightly

jordan9095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've found that you need both. sometimes you can use just glue or epoxy but other times depending on where you want to mount the coral, you need to use a layer of glue, epoxy, layer of glue, then the frag. i like the dollar store glue and the pink epoxy

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both most of the time unless its a really small frag.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Putty- have great luck with aquastick and holdfast

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to use both in the glue, epoxy, glue method.

With that said, loctite super glue gel, and JB waterweld. Since I have no aquarium stores nearby, these can be had from the local walmart, lowes, or HD.

Acrocrazy725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use AF poly glue with a dab of seachem reef glue. The poly glue is a little more work then standard glues. Comes in tiny white balls that you heat in hot water. Once playable ( about one minute ) I make a little ball attach frag and add a tiny drop of glue, reef glue seems to help it adhere to rocks faster. Nice thing about the poly glue is that use can reuse it over and over. I have had same container for over a year. It does cost 15-20 dollars, but at this rate I will have it for 20 years.
It doesn’t stick to fingers
It has no harmful chemicals, so I can do it with my five year old.
It doesn’t make skimmer go crazy.
Only downside i found is that you have to put it in really hot water to activate. once you take it out form ball and attach frag. you don’t have much time to stick to rocks before it hardens.
lucky I have instant hot water so I don’t have to boil water.
Also don’t use plastic contains to melt seems to adhere to it.

OP
OP
Baseball#27

Baseball#27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one (glue or epoxy) works better for applying a frag or a colony underwater? I use the ICE gel glue and Aquamend putty right now and they work ok when they are applied underwater but they don't bond that fast. Any suggestions?

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both and still looking. Aquasstik seems to form a ball like florists clay, doesn't hold eithr rock or coral. Them seems to just frag away. Used many kinds of super glue gel including gorilla . Mkes a mess, holds poorly, spreads white gunk all over the rock and 1 week to 2 months just seems to disentegrate . Still looking. Will try the super-epoxy-super combo/ Attaching tiny fraqs is a pain!

Back