Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

MIchael10101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on setting up a new tank in about 6m and moving coral from my 70g once it's cycled. Then letting it sit fallow for the full 76 day period. My concern isn't going to be ich, as that parasite can be controlled easily with proper protocols and copper. My concern is the spread of aptasia and majano. I was watching a BRS update and they said they got aptasia by taking a monti (from an infested tank), rinsing it and putting it in the tank. The frag didn't have any pests on it. If an a pest cannot be chemically eliminated, or starved out like ich can, is there ever any guarantee that quarantining is going to offer you the ability to know that what goes into the DT is free from unwanted pests?

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on setting up a new tank in about 6m and moving coral from my 70g once it's cycled. Then letting it sit fallow for the full 76 day period. My concern isn't going to be ich, as that parasite can be controlled easily with proper protocols and copper. My concern is the spread of aptasia and majano. I was watching a BRS update and they said they got aptasia by taking a monti (from an infested tank), rinsing it and putting it in the tank. The frag didn't have any pests on it. If an a pest cannot be chemically eliminated, or starved out like ich can, is there ever any guarantee that quarantining is going to offer you the ability to know that what goes into the DT is free from unwanted pests?
Why do you want to go fallow for 76days for aptasia?
Once all the coral and fish are removed, just take some seeded media out and fill the tank with fresh water. Aptasia n majano will not survive. After two weeks of total freshwater slowly start adding salt and up your salinity. Reach proper salinity in next 2 weeks. Bring back your seeded media and do the cycle again. Should be ready to put corals back in 6 weeks.
Want to do even faster? Take out rocks and bleach them. Take out sand and wash it with fresh water and peroxide solution. Done in a week. :p

Spazizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 days fallow is outdated information, if I remember correctly the study was done at 68f temperature with antibiotics. most reef tanks are kept at 78f, around that temp most ich strains life cycles are done in 3 weeks fallow.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT my fish, but not corals or inverts. I really only have room for one qt tank, and it goes to the fish...

That said, I wish I had a coral qt, as that might solve a few troubles...
I typically try to buy aquacultured or pre-quarantined corals and inverts. That way, I’m somewhat confident they aren’t bringing any parasites in....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back