Do you remember, when......

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick this up at SoCal Reef Corals in Cypress California. It's brand new never been used and it's all metal on the housing the motor, everything except the glass jar

20200308_155651.jpg 20200308_155250.jpg 20200308_155238.jpg 20200308_155243.jpg 20200308_155315.jpg 20200308_155400.jpg 20200308_155603.jpg

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost got one, but for the price, quality, I decided the marineland magnum polishing pump is better. Especially since IMO 90% of my use for it does not need DE.

That being said, @Paul B is a big fan too..... :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, wow, and double-wow. Looks like something that came over on the Mayflower :p
Reminds me one time I was working in an area and there was a garage sale and there was an Atari console complete in the box and the original receipt, handwritten receipt in it. It was sold at a Sears. Got it, all complete and original very little damage to box none to the equipment. So that for a pretty penny, when I sold

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I was again working in another area and I bought these three glass bottles and it was like a dollar each so $3 when I was walking toward my truck I noticed one bottle was not open it was full of wine, bottle from 1923 and sold that for a few thousand. The wine from the bottle was from Vineyard in Los Angeles at the time.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost got one, but for the price, quality, I decided the marineland magnum polishing pump is better. Especially since IMO 90% of my use for it does not need DE.

[/QUOT

No the Marineland isn't even close they might get down to 100 microns. They are just like using a filter sock. You need to use DE to get down to 5 microns

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the Marineland isn't even close they might get down to 100 microns. They are just like using a filter sock. You need to use DE to get down to 5 microns

I too have always wondered what these are for. If it is just the small micron filter for occasional use, why not just use one of these:

Or am I missing something?

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is true, but the instructions include a DE option. Again, I did it once last year, I've yet to feel a need to do it a second time. Yet. This year. :)

Magnum Polishing Internal Filter Manual

(note that the DE instructions are upsidedown in the PDF)

The Marineland is $40-something shipped from Amazon, $38 from Chewy. Compared to $200+ retail I was looking at the Vortex for. And the Marineland is smaller, requiring less water and nuisance to prime. (nice for those of us who have small tanks)

I'm fine paying more, but looking at the quality and technology of the Vortex I'm not convinced that I'm getting good value for my money. Especially since I see folks online offering allegedly superior motors, etc - I'm willing to pay for a good motor, but that again begs the question why pay $200+ for it in the first place. I sort of get the impression that someone invented it in the 80s (I remember the original ads in TFH) and then just kept the same production process, and whoever inherited the very small family business has chosen not to expand or invest in it.

ETA: the D1 is $122 from their website. I think that LFS was selling a different model, which I can't find on the website anymore. But still I think the LFS was a rip-off..........

OK, then. I have the Marineland and can use it for DE when needed. Convice me me as to why I should get the D1..... :) I'm more than open to buying stuff from a company that hasn't even changed its boxes since when I was a kid. :)

I too have always wondered what these are for. If it is just the small micron filter for occasional use, why not just use one of these:

Or am I missing something?

Not everyone has a sump. :) Even if you did, you did not use the DE option, and wanted to spray up all your detritus, it provides a secondary outlet to catch stuff besides the sump/filter sock.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ahh, the good old days !! A little diatom powder and let this run for about 3 hours and Crystal Clear water !!!

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just gave 2 of those away to a guy with a small pond. 1 new, 1 used. Didn't think anybody in saltwater really wanted those. I got them in a tank bundle I bought and pieced out.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true, but the instructions include a DE option. Again, I did it once last year, I've yet to feel a need to do it a second time. Yet. This year. :)

Magnum Polishing Internal Filter Manual

(note that the DE instructions are upsidedown in the PDF)

The Marineland is $40-something shipped from Amazon, $38 from Chewy. Compared to $200+ retail I was looking at the Vortex for. And the Marineland is smaller, requiring less water and nuisance to prime. (nice for those of us who have small tanks)

I'm fine paying more, but looking at the quality and technology of the Vortex I'm not convinced that I'm getting good value for my money. Especially since I see folks online offering allegedly superior motors, etc - I'm willing to pay for a good motor, but that again begs the question why pay $200+ for it in the first place. I sort of get the impression that someone invented it in the 80s (I remember the original ads in TFH) and then just kept the same production process, and whoever inherited the very small family business has chosen not to expand or invest in it.

ETA: the D1 is $122 from their website. I think that LFS was selling a different model, which I can't find on the website anymore. But still I think the LFS was a rip-off..........

OK, then. I have the Marineland and can use it for DE when needed. Convice me me as to why I should get the D1..... :) I'm more than open to buying stuff from a company that hasn't even changed its boxes since when I was a kid. :)

Not everyone has a sump. :) Even if you did, you did not use the DE option, and wanted to spray up all your detritus, it provides a secondary outlet to catch stuff besides the sump/filter sock.

Not telling anyone to get one. It's just the best piece of equipment I have. I think I paid $45 for it 15-20 years ago. Use it a couple times a year. I looked at the marineland...Junk! But everything made today is junk! I would not buy another at that price either as there are better options out there. I think the motor will outlast me so I should be fine.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly, but when I was a kid we had a swimming pool with a big DE filter. It was a massive pain in the butt to clean.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know I'm hot rodding mine, glass jar will have activated carbon, as much that will fit, then the discharge of Vortex will go thru a pre-filter cartridge(4.5" x 10"), cartridge will hold DE powder. The instructions say, for continuous use. We'll see how long seal last. If need be viton seal coming. My children of the sea very picky of their water.

1388187-8f2760d133364d4ff1dc8b62e88acaec.jpg

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know I'm hot rodding mine, glass jar will have activated carbon, as much that will fit, then the discharge of Vortex will go thru a pre-filter cartridge(4.5" x 10"), cartridge will hold DE powder. The instructions say, for continuous use. We'll see how long seal last. If need be viton seal coming. My children of the sea very picky of their water.

1388187-8f2760d133364d4ff1dc8b62e88acaec.jpg

NICE!....Just don't touch the motor they get hot and keep it oiled.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back