do you replace equipment BEFORE it breaks?

do you replace equipment each calendar year, regardless if it's working perfectly fine?

• yes - I sleep better knowing my equipment is "like new"

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • no - My equipment is working perfectly fine, no reason to throw it away

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • no - But i have some spare equipment in reserve in case of failure

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read a number of times, as well as seen videos, where it is highly recommended to replace certain equipment BEFORE it breaks.
Maybe it's different if you have a "back up" on the shelf waiting for the original to fail, vs buying a new one and replacing it on a specific date.

With the cost of this hobby, and life, I find it very hard for me to throw a piece of equipment away when it is working perfectly fine.
Only thing I can hope for, is that I have a spare waiting in the wings that I can easily swap out if need be.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have read a number of times, as well as seen videos, where it is highly recommended to replace certain equipment BEFORE it breaks.
Maybe it's different if you have a "back up" on the shelf waiting for the original to fail, vs buying a new one and replacing it on a specific date.

With the cost of this hobby, and life, I find it very hard for me to throw a piece of equipment away when it is working perfectly fine.
Only thing I can hope for, is that I have a spare waiting in the wings that I can easily swap out if need be.
Isn’t there a saying….:)

Guilty though of having back ups on the shelf.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgrade something, I clean up and store the item it’s replacing to use as a backup.

I have a closet storing some crappy powerheads, heaters whose thermostat broke but would work fine on a controller, V1 reefbreeders photon 32 and 48, a mp40 dry side, octopus 160xs skimmer, eshopps hang on skimmer, tunze Nano skimmer, 40lb bag of live sand, spare brand new acrylic sump (was for a build that never happened), 40-60lbs former live rock, etc

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I upgrade something, I clean up and store the item it’s replacing to use as a backup.
Same -- I just have less good "stuff" stored than you mentioned.

In general, I don't replace ANYTHING that's still working unless it's for a specific upgrade.
Just make sure not to have any single item where failure would be a major problem very quickly without having a backup.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have back ups for pumps and lights but I replace the heater every two years regardless

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I shut down my frag tanks I kept alot of vital equipment as a backup. I have backup led, gyre, heater, apex, skimmer and return pumps

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have back ups for pumps and lights but I replace the heater every two years regardless
Most heaters fail for (3) reasons.

1 - thermal cycling of the internal bi-metal thermostat that also acts as a contactor.
2 - thermal cycling of the envelope causing the "plug" end to eventually leak and short or steam pressure "popping" the cork.
3 - thermal shock from running dry or partially dry.

How do you prevent this?

1 - use an external controller with the internal thermostat (physically, not be "number") set above the tank operating point. It will act as a fail-safe too...

2 - never submerge the plug end of the heater. This means running it through a bulkhead or placing its head out of the water in an fixed depth area of the sump that can never run dry.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the obvious answer is to have a spare on hand for critical things like main return pump and heater. I do not prophylactically replace the latter because I employ a multi heater approach and a single failure is not a major problem. If I used just a single heater I probably would replace it on a 2 year cycle. Everything else can be managed through 2-3 day shipping.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back