Votes: 13 13.8%

• Total voters

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank build, I am planning to have a skimmer to assist with the tank startup for the first couple of years. After that, hopefully the coral biomass will take over and make the skimmer redundant. The type of filter I am going to be running, DyMiCo inspired, normally runs skimmer less anyway. The reason is that the skimmer is viewed as reducing plankton levels in the water column, opposite to what the filter is trying to achieve.

Dennis

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like skimmers in principle, the potential to remove a decent (I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, a skimmer tops out at being able to remove ~30% of DOCs). In reality, after decades of having marine/reef aquariums on and off, I’m rarely able to get any kind or brand of skimmer on any system producing well or reliably, and have recently stopped trying in favor of reverse photoperiod refugiums with DSBs, and nitrate reactors. pH swing also didn’t increase.

I definitely don’t knock skimmers and anyone that can get them dialed in should probably use them (at least on SPS and FOWLR systems) but they seem to hate me for some reason...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back