Do you run carbon and gfo 24/7?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through the guide a couple times and am still a little confused. Are we supposed to run carbon and gfo 24/7? I'm designing my system and am trying to figure out if I need 1 or 2 reactors. I used to just run my carbon passively with a bag tossed in the sump but from my understanding it's better to run it through a reactor with the Triton method.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we recommend with the Triton method running Activated Carbon and PO4 remover 24/7.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our basic recommended level is 0.018, however, depending on your system you may run better at other levels.

If you find that PO4 media is stripping out the PO4 too efficiently then you can reduce the amount you use.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what age of new system Tim, would you recommend starting to use them both. Right away, or wait a bit. I ran Carbon from the start. My 850 Gallon Reef just finished its cycle and I'm sending you my first water test this Friday.
My Triton Aquarium ID # 7061A
Eric

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what age of new system Tim, would you recommend starting to use them both. Right away, or wait a bit. I ran Carbon from the start. My 850 Gallon Reef just finished its cycle and I'm sending you my first water test this Friday.
My Triton Aquarium ID # 7061A
Eric
That depends on your system parameters Eric, if you are measuring excess Phosphates then you should run the media right away, if not then don't bother just yet.

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run only GAC in my tank. My cheato keeps the P04 levels in check. In fact I have to make sure I feed pretty heavily otherwise my p04 levels bottom out fast.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 67 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back