Favorite filtration for aio tanks

  • Thread starter Thread starter reef’r
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reef’r

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2023
Messages
915
Reaction score
534
Location
reef’d
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s everyone’s favorite filtration methods for there aio’s? Sock, media tower, skimmer? Also looking for carbon/gfo input also. Reason I ask is I’ve got my first reef tank cycling, just dropped in about 8lbs of live rock yesterday and currently just running it with a filter sock, didn’t go for the skimmer right away. Was thinking about just crushing up some more live rock maybe putting it in a media bag and putting it in the filter section, but I’m also curious about carbon/gfo? Anyone running it 24/7? Thanks for any and all input!
 
Skimmers are nice for many reasons! As for live rock rubble that never hurt anything! It provides more surface area for bacteria to populate.. as for running gfo that’s only needed if phosphates are high! Carbon you can run 24/7 if you’d like.
 
I run an Aquamaxx skimmer, Chemi pure, and bio balls for filtration in my AIO. Seems to keep parameters in check for the most part.
 
filter floss is a great choice for AIO mechanical filtration, easy to cut a size that works, and you can just throw it away and replace when necessary. Cheap and easy.

I use this stuff in my frag system, love it: https://amzn.to/3wJRka0
 
Skimmers are nice for many reasons! As for live rock rubble that never hurt anything! It provides more surface area for bacteria to populate.. as for running gfo that’s only needed if phosphates are high! Carbon you can run 24/7 if you’d
I run an Aquamaxx skimmer, Chemi pure, and bio balls for filtration in my AIO. Seems to keep parameters in check for the most part.
do you just have the chemi pure in a media bag in the back? I was thinking about running the brs mini reactor with carbon vs just the bag…. But not sure I want to have another pump running
 
I just run it in a bag and replace every three months.
 
MarinePure balls and some left over Eheim ceramics. nI have a skimmer Tunze 9004 but tank is still cycling so no need to turn it on yet. Its all about the surface area for the bacteria to grow and do their thing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new