Favorite filtration for aio tanks

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s everyone’s favorite filtration methods for there aio’s? Sock, media tower, skimmer? Also looking for carbon/gfo input also. Reason I ask is I’ve got my first reef tank cycling, just dropped in about 8lbs of live rock yesterday and currently just running it with a filter sock, didn’t go for the skimmer right away. Was thinking about just crushing up some more live rock maybe putting it in a media bag and putting it in the filter section, but I’m also curious about carbon/gfo? Anyone running it 24/7? Thanks for any and all input!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers are nice for many reasons! As for live rock rubble that never hurt anything! It provides more surface area for bacteria to populate.. as for running gfo that’s only needed if phosphates are high! Carbon you can run 24/7 if you’d like.

Clem75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an Aquamaxx skimmer, Chemi pure, and bio balls for filtration in my AIO. Seems to keep parameters in check for the most part.

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers are nice for many reasons! As for live rock rubble that never hurt anything! It provides more surface area for bacteria to populate.. as for running gfo that’s only needed if phosphates are high! Carbon you can run 24/7 if you’d
I run an Aquamaxx skimmer, Chemi pure, and bio balls for filtration in my AIO. Seems to keep parameters in check for the most part.
do you just have the chemi pure in a media bag in the back? I was thinking about running the brs mini reactor with carbon vs just the bag…. But not sure I want to have another pump running

1trickpony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MarinePure balls and some left over Eheim ceramics. nI have a skimmer Tunze 9004 but tank is still cycling so no need to turn it on yet. Its all about the surface area for the bacteria to grow and do their thing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back