Do you scrape your back glass?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bct15
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
2,846
Reaction score
169
Location
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regularly maintain my tank, (Sunday is tank maintenance and football day) but over a period of several years I've let my back glass go. I decided to scrape it clean over the weekend, and I've finished about 80% as it is a lot more work then I originally anticipated. Looking at the tank with the back clean, I must say I think the black background looks a lot better then the mottled pink, red, purple, and blue layers of coralline algae and the corals stand out a lot better so I will keep it clean from now on. This lead me to wonder, what do other people do with their back glass.

Do you scrape it regularly or let it grow wild like I did?
 
I let mine go for the first 7 months. This weekend I scraped it clean and I like it. I will keep it shiny black from now on.
 
No. It gives my fish and snails a place to graze but it never gets very dirty anyway. When my son was at home he painted the back of his tank blue and it had to be cleaned since it looked horrible when dirty, my black doesn't really show much.
 
I haven't cleaned the back of mine since I set the tank up about 1.5 yrs back. I love the look of the corraline algae on the back. Plus there is a bit of red turf type algae that my tangs seem to love. So I just consider it a free feeding station for them.
 
No I have turf and hair algae growing it feed my Blenny and my pods have places to his in it. I haven't cleaned it in years
 
My tank is a peninsula view-able from three sides..so I keep them clean for sure. I tend to let the "back" wall get a little dirty because it's not easy to get to. I do try to keep it clean though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new