Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask. I've been a long fan of Ecotech, Aqua Illumination, Neptune, and Bulk Reef Supply. Since they were all merged and Marine Depot was bought out and closed, I think it has had a huge impact on the hobby. When I see BRS rating lights now, I have to think twice. I liked them separately but in my opinion they weregreat when they competed. But I swear the Ecotech and Neptune brands are 30-40% more now that they are one company and instead of competing they are good better best and I don't know if it has affected the innovation especially the Neptune and Ecotech rivalry. Thoughts?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was first to vote and so currently my opinion is reading 100%. I rarely get that much confirmation but statistics don't lie, until the other parties chime in.

Generally I support competition as the best model for business health but the current trend in so many businesses is mega merger towards single supplier, even in political realm the single payer model is touted as the best, but it isn't. Sadly we don't know how to fix this and the end is nearer each day.

Climate Change Fire GIF by INTO ACTION
200.gif
The political and business climates are rotten because everyone chose to believe in a better change as promised if they just picked the right or left letter.

Last edited:

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... this is an interesting topic. I do believe strongly in the idea that competition drives innovation and that we may lose some of that with the mergers. The loss of competition is also going to degrade competitive pricing as well.

As far as trust goes, I've been using BRS for almost 2 decades now and they've never burned me on anything, so I'm inclined to keep my trust in them. They've never given a reason not to.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"When I see BRS rating lights now, I have to think twice"
This is true for most websites and services now.
The only way to be sure about product quality and longevity is to buy it and test it, or to read R2R in case of reef supplies. And that's why I am here.

OP
OP
filbie70

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was first to vote and so currently my opinion is reading 100%. I rarely get that much confirmation but statistics don't lie, until the other parties chime in.

Generally I support competition as the best model for business health but the current trend in so many businesses is mega merger towards single supplier, even in political realm the single payer model is touted as the best, but it isn't. Sadly we don't know how to fix this and the end is nearer each day.

Climate Change Fire GIF by INTO ACTION
200.gif
The political and business climates are rotten because everyone chose to believe in a better change as promised if they just picked the right or left letter.
Its a perfect storm. Forest management for the last 50 years didn't allow controlled burns. Now with heavy brush and young trees the fire ladders and the canopies catch fire. Said the conditions are what they are.

OP
OP
filbie70

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"When I see BRS rating lights now, I have to think twice"
This is true for most websites and services now.
The only way to be sure about product quality and longevity is to buy it and test it, or to read R2R in case of reef supplies. And that's why I am here.
Don't get me wrong. I like BRS...but I don't trust their product reviews anymore. Radion, Aqua Illumination, and Neptune Sky will always be top rated or I feel someone is going to be fired.

OP
OP
filbie70

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong. I like BRS...but I don't trust their product reviews anymore. Radion, Aqua Illumination, and Neptune Sky will always be top rated or I feel someone is going to be fired.
After 20 year, I have also left Radion and have Orphek Atlantic Icons.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get 90% of my reef supplies from BRS and 100% Banking through Bank of America. It doesn't mean I like those businesses. They are OK if there's no problems, but not so good anymore if some issue happens. Besides, Marine Depot had warehouse closer to me ( in Nevada), so I was getting lot's of their stuff next day.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back