Do you turn skimmer off to empty collection cup

b.clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question. I have an eshopps in sump skimmer. Should I turn the skimmer off when I empty the collection cup? Also, if I don’t and it foams over into the sump will it hurt anything for a few minutes while cleaning cup?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it matters. Mine has a drain tube so I just empty it into a bucket. It shouldn't matter though, just gonna probably get bubbles in your display when it gets sucked into the return pump.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it foam over without a cup, I'll turn it off. Not that it really hurt the tank, but the foam will leave the dirt at the sump panel along the water line. It's ugly and annoying to clean.

OP
OP
B

b.clark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to sumps. What about the foam pad right before the return pump. Should I remove it. I know a lot of people do not like any foam in tanks or sump. When it gets dirty it slows flow to return pump chamber. Any advantage or disadvantages for it

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never turn my skimmer off while cleaning my collection cup. If it foams over into my sump, it is not enough to hurt anything for the few minutes cleaning the cup. I would not worry about it.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't, but mine don't foam over without the cup. If they foamed over, then I would turn them off.

ItalCanadaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to sumps. What about the foam pad right before the return pump. Should I remove it. I know a lot of people do not like any foam in tanks or sump. When it gets dirty it slows flow to return pump chamber. Any advantage or disadvantages for it
That pad isn’t necessary. The biggest benefit of it is to provide more surface area for nitrifying bacteria to grow on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back