Do your hermit crabs pick and kill your acan lords?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,868
Reaction score
122,478
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a whole rock of acan lord frags that I had to constantly keep knocking off hermit crabs from. And no they were not dying. :)

Anybody else experience hermits picking at acan lords?
 
YES THEY DO!!!! I had to resort in putting them in my sons tanks , He only has a couple Hermits, my big tank had 75
 
No, after 20+ years of keeping them I can't say that I've ever had any issues with the smaller Hermit Crabs (Blue Legged and Red Legged) picking specifically at corals. What they are usually after is any algae growing in between the polyps and on exposed skeleton/rock.

Which type did you have that bothered your Lords?
 
I never have an issue with hermits picking at my Acans, because I will never have hermits in my tank! lol Snails are the way to go.
 
I haven't had a problem yet.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.
 
I never have an issue with hermits picking at my Acans, because I will never have hermits in my tank! lol Snails are the way to go.

I haven't had snails for many, many years (other than the micro-collonistas that came with the LR). To each his own :)

I haven't had any major issues with Hermit Crabs (other than some clumsiness). Too many Hermits in underfed tanks can be a recipe for problems, though.
 
Yep. No hermits in any of my tanks. I got tired of them killing my acans and zoas. Snails are the only thing I put in there now.
 
I would think that if you feed your acans, they would go after the food in their mouths. same thing with shrimps. I've seen shrimps rip up food from coral mouths and corals sometimes get damage from it.
 
I hate hermit, I've had too many bad experiences with coral and clam nipping
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new