Does a conch shell grow or do I need more shells for it to grow into ?

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2020
Messages
1,092
Reaction score
518
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a conch and it is smaller. I was wondering when the snail grows does the shell also grow ? Sorry if that’s a silly question. I’m just wondering if I need to add extra shells for it.
 
I bought a conch and it is smaller. I was wondering when the snail grows does the shell also grow ? Sorry if that’s a silly question. I’m just wondering if I need to add extra shells for it.
A conch shell will grow with the animal. The conch does not change shells like a hermit crab does.
 
Their shell grows with them but if you have a hermits it might not be a a bad idea to through some conch shells in there so they are less tempted to take that one :)
 
I bought a conch and it is smaller. I was wondering when the snail grows does the shell also grow ? Sorry if that’s a silly question. I’m just wondering if I need to add extra shells for it.
The conch has a layer inside, I think called nacre, the pulls calcium out of the water to deposit on the existing shell , it it grows out in a spiral ... so it renovates it’s home on the fly!
Jay
 
Thanks fellas I knew hermits needed new ones. I’m glad I went for a smaller conch however now I’m realizing a bigger conch would help prevent my hermits from trying to take it. Do a lot of conchs become victims to hermits ? I’ve never had a hermit kill anything yet.
 
Thanks fellas I knew hermits needed new ones. I’m glad I went for a smaller conch however now I’m realizing a bigger conch would help prevent my hermits from trying to take it. Do a lot of conchs become victims to hermits ? I’ve never had a hermit kill anything yet.

I don't know how often that happens. But I think most common hermits like shells from turbo and trochus over conchs. Conchs' shell has thin gap opening instead of round hole. On the other hand, hawaiian halloween hermits usually comes with conchs shell, so I would assume they prefer that type.

You can add some empty shells for the snails too.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new