Does Activated Carbon last longer in a reactor?

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does carbon last longer when used in a reactor compared to when used in a sock in the sump?

I changed my carbon in a sock every two weeks, but I have now switched over to a reactor.

I want to know if I can go 3 weeks and still get the same efficiency that 2 weeks in a sock would give me.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reactor alone will give you 10 x the efficiency than just placing it in the sump. That being said, Carbon is exhausted pretty quickly in a Reactor..

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon in a reactor will get exhausted more quickly because it's a much more efficient vehicle. Placed in a bag in the sump it will last longer but not do as much for you along the way.

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used BRS Bulk Large Particle Lignite carbon. Its best suited for a reactor compared to the other two types they offer.

I guess what I am asking is:
If I run it a week longer in a reactor (3 weeks), will it have the same impact by removing x amount of toxins compared to what I was doing previously - by running carbon in a sock (2 weeks) before replacing?
Another way of asking is, will running the carbon a 3rd week, simply be a waste, because it may have already clogged up at that point, because it was so much more efficient?
Based on responses, it seems like since its so much more efficient at pulling out toxins - it clogs faster? If so, am I running my system during that 3rd week with essentially very poor carbon, because its already clogged?

I guess I could just keep it a 2 week schedule and have no worries, and just know that its pulling out even more toxins than the previous method. lol
It would be nice to run through carbon a little slower.

I already have crystal clear water, and don't really have any urgent issues to address. I simply wanted to improve an already highly successful tank. I am at a stage now, where there's not much I can improve on in a major fashion, so I obsess and get excited over even the smallest tweaks that go toward improvement.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
IMHO Carbon does not need to be run 24/7. I only run it when the water starts getting a slight haze to it (every 3-4 weeks)
I use Rox carbon for long enough to polish the water, no more...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back