lanthanum chloride and activated carbon

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joe Rice
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Joe Rice

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
311
Reaction score
350
Location
Littleton, MA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose lanthanum chloride into a filter sock which is also where I usually keep a bag of activated carbon. I've been taking the carbon out when I dose the lanthanum but I'm wondering if I really need to. Is lanthanum chloride removed by activated carbon?
 
I believe the only way lanthinum can be completely removed is through a 5 micron filter sock. According to my understanding, carbon absorbs much smaller particles and pollutants.
 
I believe the only way lanthinum can be completely removed is through a 5 micron filter sock. According to my understanding, carbon absorbs much smaller particles and pollutants.
The filter sock is for removing the particles created by the lanthanum reacting with the phosphate. My concern is whether the activated carbon might bind the lanthanum *before* it's able to react with the phosphate.
 
The filter sock is for removing the particles created by the lanthanum reacting with the phosphate. My concern is whether the activated carbon might bind the lanthanum *before* it's able to react with the phosphate.
I don't think there's any concern here with the LC being dosed in to a filter sock that also contains a bag of carbon.

First, they operate on two different chemical principles.
Second, my understanding is the LC binding to phosphate is instant.. This is why I used my manifold to provide tank water directly on top of where I was dosing LC.
 
The filter sock is for removing the particles created by the lanthanum reacting with the phosphate. My concern is whether the activated carbon might bind the lanthanum *before* it's able to react with the phosphate.
It won't.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new