Does all wrasses eat Berghia Nudibranch?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers! :)

I have a beginning aiptasia problem and as i can not seem to get any of my preferred options to work for me, I am now looking into Berghia Nudibranches.

I have a the following fish that I suspect of eating the 'nudies':
- Halichoeres timorensis
- Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura

On top of that, I have two hawk fish that the missus claim will eat them too:
- Longnose hawk fish
- Scarlet flame hawk fish

Now; which fish will I need to remove for being able to keep myself some 'nudies' in my tank?

Cheers,

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
U can try introducing them at night and in a few areas on the rock where aiptasia are settingup shop. I have a melanarus and a flame hawk. I had an aiptasia issue until the Berghia solution. Few years ago now fingers x Worked for me

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can try introducing them at night and in a few areas on the rock where aiptasia are settingup shop. I have a melanarus and a flame hawk. I had an aiptasia issue until the Berghia solution. Few years ago now fingers x Worked for me
Yeah, i could give that a go! :) I am fairly conscious that it might end up as fairly expensive live food though..

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The halichoeres & hawkfish is a threat to the berghia.

As you already know the longnose hawk will stalk overnight when the berghia are out.
So, give them up for a time? May have to give them up permanently and replace them with something else fun :)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fairy’s and flasher should not. Also other wrasse don’t seem to like how they taste but they will bite them then spit them out in two. How much you feed plays a part. I found if you put nudi’s in a small hole to hide they will stay out of sight of wrasse and breed. Wrasse may grab one here or there but shouldn’t kill populations if kept fed. Six lines and some nasty ones will kill them quick. I also add few more nudis then needed in case of a couple that could get picked off.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, give them up for a time? May have to give them up permanently and replace them with something else fun :)
That's your call, I tried berghia a few times as I said in your last thread about this, it didn't work for me. Went the butterfly fish route, and just watching to see what they won't eat, lol. Left my LPS alone this time just some meh zoa's been/being consumed.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's your call, I tried berghia a few times as I said in your last thread about this, it didn't work for me. Went the butterfly fish route, and just watching to see what they won't eat, lol. Left my LPS alone this time just some meh zoa's been/being consumed.
Completely forgot about that other thread, thank you for reminding me! :D That's what working away and going to and from your tank does to you! It was the pearlscale you recommended, right?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely forgot about that other thread, thank you for reminding me! :D That's what working away and going to and from your tank does to you! It was the pearlscale you recommended, right?
I went with another Klein butterfly. Also got a heniochus butterfly as a part trade for a large, angry sailfin that went back to the lfs. So far so good in my case.

Now I have a majano issue in my sps tank and the filefish ain't touching it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish that have worked really well for me:
Klein's butterfly
Copperband butterfly

Hit or miss;
Filefish (I have one and had others that I think are vegetarians?)

Never tried a Stripey but I have seen them in tanks w/o Aiptasia.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried nudi branch some months back with no success. I have various wrasses, anthia and damsel in the tank. Guess they ate them but not sure. May try one more time but it's an expensive treat for the fish that I'm not to happy about.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish that have worked really well for me:
Klein's butterfly
Copperband butterfly

Hit or miss;
Filefish (I have one and had others that I think are vegetarians?)

Never tried a Stripey but I have seen them in tanks w/o Aiptasia.
I do like the klein's butterfly as well - easier to get your hands on than a stripey here in the UK! :)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried nudi branch some months back with no success. I have various wrasses, anthia and damsel in the tank. Guess they ate them but not sure. May try one more time but it's an expensive treat for the fish that I'm not to happy about.
Similar to my experience, 2x rounds of berghia @ 75$ for 5. Tried the 'right' peppermint shrimp as well, IIRC 9$ a piece, bought a 1/2 dozen each time. The red coris, melnaurus and long nose hawkfish ate well, lol.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to my experience, 2x rounds of berghia @ 75$ for 5. Tried the 'right' peppermint shrimp as well, IIRC 9$ a piece, bought a 1/2 dozen each time. The red coris, melnaurus and long nose hawkfish ate well, lol.
Yeah, gonna abandon that all together and pop in to my LFS and ask him to order me a butterfly (either kleins or pearlscale) from TMC! :)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my tank was big enough for a butterfly. My LFS has a file fish I might be able to borrow or rent.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Klein should work, how big is the display?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back