Does all wrasses eat Berghia Nudibranch?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully stocked 65g
The klein aren't that big fully sized, yellow tang is about 4.5 in nose to tail in length for reference.

PXL_20231118_000354096.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The klein aren't that big fully sized, yellow tang is about 4.5 in nose to tail in length for reference.

PXL_20231118_000354096.jpg
Thanks for the reference shot tank looks awesome. I wish I could add one but I'm loaded with fish and it just wouldn't be right to cram him in currently. I'll try another round of nudibranch and just let the tank figure out its reef inhabitants.

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 5, and have three wrasses, (including a yellow coris) that I'm worried about. I dropped 3 in the sump and 2 in the display. I hope to replenish the display as the ones in the sump breed.

5 days in, the two in the display tank hide during the day and aptaisia are slowly disappearing in the area where I placed them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers! :)

I have a beginning aiptasia problem and as i can not seem to get any of my preferred options to work for me, I am now looking into Berghia Nudibranches.

I have a the following fish that I suspect of eating the 'nudies':
- Halichoeres timorensis
- Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura

On top of that, I have two hawk fish that the missus claim will eat them too:
- Longnose hawk fish
- Scarlet flame hawk fish

Now; which fish will I need to remove for being able to keep myself some 'nudies' in my tank?

Cheers,
Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus species shouldn’t eat nudibranchs. All the other fish are a risk with eating them though.

If you can, use a butterfly or filefish as a way to keep numbers down. IME, berghia don’t always work as they have to be in groups to tackle larger aiptasia.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus species shouldn’t eat nudibranchs. All the other fish are a risk with eating them though.

If you can, use a butterfly or filefish as a way to keep numbers down. IME, berghia don’t always work as they have to be in groups to tackle larger aiptasia.
Cheers mate!

I have given my LFS in Glasgow an order list of:

1 x Pearl Scale Butterfly Fish
1 x Molly Miller Blenny
1 x Aiptasia eating file fish

After quarantine, hopefully they should be ready to go! :) I am gonna introduce then one by one with a month in between (.. i have a few tanks for temporary keeping).

Let's see which of them will be working! :anguished-face:

Darkrooster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new thing around here is rainford butterfly fish one wholesaler here was told about them and he’s so far sold 5 different shipments all successful so far. So we are the Guinea pigs lol. Very little info on them just the regurgitated general butterfly info. Here in Canada they are cheaper than copperband and eat easily. I paid 100 bucks each. They can be kept in pairs or groups. I got two and are in QT right now with a green slimer. Monti digi, and a Gonipora. They haven’t touched them at all. They are eating a wide variety of frozen foods. I have purposefully not over fed them to see if they will fill the gap with coral but so far so good. They pest patrol the rocks nonstop. If I drop an aptasia in there the go straight for it!
Today I am going to put my galaxia coral in there. Its rock is covered in aptasia and the coral might be similarly tempting. But so far they have been a dream so fingers crossed. Hopefully they may become an easier and more affordable option.
I should make a post to see who else uses these for aptasia control and I could maybe learn more

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago i had a few aiptsasia in one tank and added a Klein's Butterfly. He cleaned up the aips but after that he would nip at the Acroporas. I don't know if he was eating them but he was definably irritating them so I finally managed to catch him and get him out.

Several months ago I had a few aips show up in another 180 tank. I tried threating them with kalk paste and that seemed to kill the ones I squirted but caused more little ones to put up. I ordered 12 bergias and turned them loose on the end of the tank with the most aips. In a week they had cleaned up that end and I was happily awaiting for them to move on over the tank and mow down the rest. Didn't happen, they never moved more than 12 - 15 inches down the tank. I was suspecting the Carpenter's Fairy Wrass but I also have 2 Psychedelic Manderins and 2 Scooter Blennies that are constantly grazing the rock so I don't know who to blame for that. I also have a lot of pods and I read that they would eat the bergia eggs.

Any thoughts?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago i had a few aiptsasia in one tank and added a Klein's Butterfly. He cleaned up the aips but after that he would nip at the Acroporas. I don't know if he was eating them but he was definably irritating them so I finally managed to catch him and get him out.

Several months ago I had a few aips show up in another 180 tank. I tried threating them with kalk paste and that seemed to kill the ones I squirted but caused more little ones to put up. I ordered 12 bergias and turned them loose on the end of the tank with the most aips. In a week they had cleaned up that end and I was happily awaiting for them to move on over the tank and mow down the rest. Didn't happen, they never moved more than 12 - 15 inches down the tank. I was suspecting the Carpenter's Fairy Wrass but I also have 2 Psychedelic Manderins and 2 Scooter Blennies that are constantly grazing the rock so I don't know who to blame for that. I also have a lot of pods and I read that they would eat the bergia eggs.

Any thoughts?
Flasher and Fairy wrasses don’t each anything off the rocks generally, I find they go for suspended material.
Dragonets can go for them, I wouldn’t put it behind them. I’ve had Euphyllia Eating Nudibranchs and my Mandarin took them out quite fast. But also, I’ve found Berghia to just not move far from where they’re placed. I’ve only tried them once though and I did have some rather risky wrasses with them (an Iridis and Chloropterus).

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sixline and after the aptasia were gone the berghias began coming out during the day and on the glass. My sixline would swim by without giving them a look. Mine might be a one off though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back