Does Ammonium Hydroxide increase pH?

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley

If I wanted to try dosing Ammonium Hydroxide to increase Nitrogen, will I also see a benefit to increase in pH due to the Hydroxide ions?

What would be the disadvantage of dosing it? (Smell, etc?)

If it is beneficial for pH purpose, is there a calculator to figure out how to make it?
Thank you!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - It will raise your pH.

Randy will be able to explain why :D

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a somewhat complex question, but adding ammonium hydroxide will boost pH, at least initially. The effect is not quite as strong as an equal number of hydroxide ions added as sodium or calcium hydroxide, but close. The reason is that some of the ammonium comes apart to NH3 and H+, lowering the pH a bit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could some of the H+ combine with OH- to just form H20?

Yes, H+ and OH- are always in equilibrium:

H+ + OH- <—> H2O

If you add either H+ or OH-, you force the reaction to the right forming water. But not all of what you add does that, so pH falls or rises, respectively.

Drex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a somewhat complex question, but adding ammonium hydroxide will boost pH, at least initially. The effect is not quite as strong as an equal number of hydroxide ions added as sodium or calcium hydroxide, but close. The reason is that some of the ammonium comes apart to NH3 and H+, lowering the pH a bit.
Say Randy what would the recipe be for dosing Ammonium Hydroxide in the reef tank came across a video that Dr Sanjay and Mike Paletta did about dosing it as a carbon source and they mentioned your name

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say Randy what would the recipe be for dosing Ammonium Hydroxide in the reef tank came across a video that Dr Sanjay and Mike Paletta did about dosing it as a carbon source and they mentioned your name

I hope they did not literally suggest dosing ammonium hydroxide as a carbon source, since it contains no carbon.

I give recipes for what i consider to be somewhat better ways to dose ammonia (due to purity assurances) here:

OP
OP
R

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they did not literally suggest dosing ammonium hydroxide as a carbon source, since it contains no carbon.
No. I listened to the podcast. Both Sanjay and Mike said they dose ammonium hydroxide to provide Nitrogen source not carbon source.

Happy New Year Randy!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I listened to the podcast. Both Sanjay and Mike said they dose ammonium hydroxide to provide Nitrogen source not carbon source.

Happy New Year Randy!

Sounds good. Happy Reefing!

Drex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I give recipes for what i consider to be somewhat better ways to dose ammonia (due to purity assurances) here:

Sounds good. Happy Reefing!
Thanks Randy for the reply and the information. Thats why I have reached out to Randy cause I knew he would give the best info for the topic

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back