Where do rare high end corals come from?

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I am sure many of you guys also wonder about this. Where do all the corals with vibrant rainbow and radiant colors come from? Sure the corals on a generic coral reef look cool and all but many don't compare to some of the pieces we have in this hobby. Things like the many bounces there are, rainbow acros with a dozen colors, the meat corals and chalices and the thousand variants of zoas.

December2022MeatCoral.jpg
050e4b521f7c8004ab888d7de4db0f0f.jpg
OG-Bounce-Mushroom.jpg
homewrecker-lighting-closeup-1024x576.jpg

VS.
MicrosoftTeams-image_23.jpg
(I actually prefer the natural reef look more in a large tank but the colors are undeniably less loud and sparkly)

Are these really just wild collected pieces? ...or is it some kind of inhumane coral splicing DNA lab breeding going on? Is it really just the lighting? Or is it a mix of all three?

For example, I have the OG godzilla bounce and I would be interested in learning more of its origins. The thought of going somewhere in the ocean and finding a wild OG Godzilla bounce sounds beyond me.

received_512091644463700.jpeg

one day I hope I will be able to home produce an OG master ferrari flexseal gonipora :)

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this is a very complex topic that warrants some understanding of a few different things.

I'll speak about the "Bounce" mushrooms first. These captivating corals, also known as Rhodactis mushrooms, are popular in the hobby for their pulsating movement. In the wild, Rhodactis mushrooms exhibit minimal to no "bounce" behavior. The exact reason for the pronounced "bounce" seen in aquariums remains a scientific mystery, with some theories suggesting it's a response to the specific lighting or water flow conditions found in captivity. One thing is certain - hobbyists have found this trait visually appealing and have selectively bred these corals over time. It's possible that this selective breeding may have unintentionally influenced the "bounce" behavior in some way.

Now lets see if we can tackle coloration...

It's important to note that our lighting filters out the wavelengths that reach the reefs in favor of the wavelengths that let them grow. I created a visual-aid to help here:

Spectrum-Depth-EyeSensitivity.jpg

The large wall of spectrum in the background is the sun's spectral output at the earth's surface. Each of the red, orange, light-green, green, and blue lines are at different depths beneath the water surface, as well as the spectral output at those depths. The pink line (My contribution) is the human eye's sensitivity to specific wavelengths.

Sunlight reaching coral reefs undergoes significant filtration by water. The red spectrum is largely absorbed before reaching deeper depths, leaving the blue and violet wavelengths dominant in the reef environment. However, our eyes, with their peak sensitivity in the yellow-green range, struggle to perceive these vibrant blues and purples underwater. As illustrated in the visual aid, even though the blue and violet spectrums dominate at depth, the human eye's sensitivity curve allows the remaining green and yellow light to overpower our perception of these beautiful blues, as well as the low intensities of the fluorescence being emitted by the corals.

This is where the magic of aquarium lighting comes in. By filtering out the competing green, yellow, and red spectrums, aquarium lights allow the blue wavelengths to shine through. These blue wavelengths excite the fluorescent proteins within some corals, causing them to emit vibrant colors at wavelengths we can finally perceive. In essence, the dazzling blues and purples (and the fluorescent emissions created by them) we see in aquariums are not artificial enhancements, but the coral's true colors are finally revealed by the specific lighting that removes the limitations of our human vision.

That's not to say there aren't hobby species out there whose colors have changed/morphed over time due to the artificial environments we've created. But it is to say that coral on a reef is just as beautiful as coral within the hobby (with the exception of the "bounce" in bounce mushrooms, and probably some other morphological things) when viewed under the artificial lighting that emphasizes the blue-purple spectrums.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like this is a very complex topic that warrants some understanding of a few different things.

I'll speak about the "Bounce" mushrooms first. These captivating corals, also known as Rhodactis mushrooms, are popular in the hobby for their pulsating movement. In the wild, Rhodactis mushrooms exhibit minimal to no "bounce" behavior. The exact reason for the pronounced "bounce" seen in aquariums remains a scientific mystery, with some theories suggesting it's a response to the specific lighting or water flow conditions found in captivity. One thing is certain - hobbyists have found this trait visually appealing and have selectively bred these corals over time. It's possible that this selective breeding may have unintentionally influenced the "bounce" behavior in some way.

Now lets see if we can tackle coloration...

It's important to note that our lighting filters out the wavelengths that reach the reefs in favor of the wavelengths that let them grow. I created a visual-aid to help here:

Spectrum-Depth-EyeSensitivity.jpg

The large wall of spectrum in the background is the sun's spectral output at the earth's surface. Each of the red, orange, light-green, green, and blue lines are at different depths beneath the water surface, as well as the spectral output at those depths. The pink line (My contribution) is the human eye's sensitivity to specific wavelengths.

Sunlight reaching coral reefs undergoes significant filtration by water. The red spectrum is largely absorbed before reaching deeper depths, leaving the blue and violet wavelengths dominant in the reef environment. However, our eyes, with their peak sensitivity in the yellow-green range, struggle to perceive these vibrant blues and purples underwater. As illustrated in the visual aid, even though the blue and violet spectrums dominate at depth, the human eye's sensitivity curve allows the remaining green and yellow light to overpower our perception of these beautiful blues, as well as the low intensities of the fluorescence being emitted by the corals.

This is where the magic of aquarium lighting comes in. By filtering out the competing green, yellow, and red spectrums, aquarium lights allow the blue wavelengths to shine through. These blue wavelengths excite the fluorescent proteins within some corals, causing them to emit vibrant colors at wavelengths we can finally perceive. In essence, the dazzling blues and purples (and the fluorescent emissions created by them) we see in aquariums are not artificial enhancements, but the coral's true colors are finally revealed by the specific lighting that removes the limitations of our human vision.

That's not to say there aren't hobby species out there whose colors have changed/morphed over time due to the artificial environments we've created. But it is to say that coral on a reef is just as beautiful as coral within the hobby (with the exception of the "bounce" in bounce mushrooms, and probably some other morphological things) when viewed under the artificial lighting that emphasizes the blue-purple spectrums.
interesting but also sensible conclusion. Why don't we start putting kessils across the ocean so everyone can appreciate the flouresence?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come from the ocean.
This was gonna be my answer.. 2nd answer is photoshop… lol.. you see these crazy pics but then see a full tank shot from the same person and nothing stands out!

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
interesting but also sensible conclusion. Why don't we start putting kessils across the ocean so everyone can appreciate the flouresence?
i know this is sarcastic but does that mean if I dive a reef at night with blue lights and orange snorkel goggles it would glow like a reef tank, albeit prob not as vibrant?

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who loves Acanthophyllia, and has spent WAY too much money on some of them, I can tell you the most colorful ones come from Indonesia. But not for much longer. From what I hear, after Dec you won’t be able to get them brought in anymore.

Also, I can tell you from experience that while these rainbow corals still look great in my reef, there’s definitely some photoshopping or manipulation going on at the vendor level. They never look quite as great in the home tank as they do online, when they’re listed for sale.

Mr. Acantho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who loves Acanthophyllia, and has spent WAY too much money on some of them, I can tell you the most colorful ones come from Indonesia. But not for much longer. From what I hear, after Dec you won’t be able to get them brought in anymore.

Also, I can tell you from experience that while these rainbow corals still look great in my reef, there’s definitely some photoshopping or manipulation going on at the vendor level. They never look quite as great in the home tank as they do online, when they’re listed for sale.
Where did you hear that acanthos won't be coming anymore after December?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this acantho today, looks good under blue but even better when some whites are added in. looks even brighter in person. Still opening…
550B981C-F02E-4108-B50C-44DC8E302ED8.jpeg
6F214137-CE4D-4F0D-A44E-511A8F40491E.jpeg

The fts gives a better idea of brightness
16331A32-BB7E-4509-9260-07B485AC4C38.jpeg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back