Does anyone collect their own fish?

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is the 3rd time I’ve asked this question today on R2R, but there are multiple categories it could go under....

Does anyone know of any good collecting spots in the Tampa/Clearwater area? Specifically looking for lined seahorses for my seahorse tank, but open to anything.

I’m on vacation here and want to seize the opportunity. It’s a whole new world for someone from rural Virginia!

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to buy a fishing license and check the regs of what you can and can't take. Finding a seahorse would be rare. Finding reef fish would require going offshore to our reefs. There are plenty of crabs and snails that can be found in skinny water grass flats. Try Fred Howard Park.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a license to take anything alive, except on license-free days: First consecutive Sat/Sun in June, first Sat in September, Sat after Thanksgiving. A license is fairly cheap, however, and supports the FWC who are essential for protecting our beaches and waters. You can even submit pictures to them and they'll identify the species for you. Certainly a worthwhile cause.

Certain fish are pretty easy. Pipefish are plentiful close to shore too. Lots of damselfish, wrasses, parrotfish. In deeper waters, there's non reef-safe angelfish (cherub is debatable), butterflyfish.

Inverts are much, much easier. I make up the cost of the license within a day or two or paying for license renewal. Essentially limitless cerith and tulip snails. Fighting conchs, urchins, sand sifting starfish, pistol shrimp, emerald crabs. Mats of macroalage filled with hundreds of baby feather dusters, baby ceriths, and pods galore. Lots of gorgonians, both NPS and photosynthetic.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some of the coolest live stuff I've found at the seashore has just been at random spots along the road. Ligia sp. isopods I was catching for a friend, green porcelain crabs, loads of hermit and fiddler crabs. I just used Google Earth to look around until I spotted an area that looked like an easily accessible spot, then went.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Panama City beach, cake back with a bunch of cocoa damselfish, red climber crabs (the red version of emerald crabs, same purpose as cuc), a Molly Miller blenny (no more aptasia yay!), and of course a lot of cuc members like snails and hermits. I found these beautiful white and purple hermit crabs at the Panama City beach and nowhere else. There were some nice starfish and of course pipefish, a pair of juvinile butterfly fish, pilotfish, small silver minnowish fish, and even a stingray (these fish and ray were released immediately as I cannot care for them).

Great netting, you get some weird looks but usually people are quite impressed when they get close. Very impressed about the seahorses! I wouldn’t be able to keep them due to their diet but I would love to see one in the wild!

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the coolest live stuff I've found at the seashore has just been at random spots along the road. Ligia sp. isopods I was catching for a friend, green porcelain crabs, loads of hermit and fiddler crabs. I just used Google Earth to look around until I spotted an area that looked like an easily accessible spot, then went.
That's basically the same thing I did- scan Google Earth for some good seagrass/rock spots.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back