Does anyone dose Tropic Marins All for Reef or familiar with it????

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm saying. Don't use all-for-reef. Just test every few days and add either calcium and/or alkalinity if needed to keep your levels where you want them. For example, day 1 you have 9.0 alk and 450 calc. Day 4 you have 8.6 alk and 440 calc, then dose enough to get alk back to 9.0 and I'd leave the calc alone for a few more days.
So what I’m asking is what’s the point of buying all for reef supplement?

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose All for reef and have not had any issues with it. I keep my Alk around 9.5 (Higher than tropic Marin suggests) so I actually Titrate my dose Based calcium level of 450 and add a small amount of Alk two part to elevate alk above the level the All4Reef is able to maintain.

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that All For Reef is not a product designed to raise Alk or Calcium. It is a balanced additive used to maintain the levels that you have.

If your current levels are not where you want them, you should use the Alk or Calcium portion of a 2-part to attain your desired levels and then use AFR to maintain those levels.
This is exactly it! I've talked with Lou from Tropic Marin several times about this and it is exactly what he said - All for Reef works really well to maintain, but is not supposed to be used to raise your levels. In my experience it has been a great and very consistent product!

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works and it's easy to use. Some people just like simplicity.
Yes, overall it keeps things very consistent and then if for some reason something is out of line (say you get more corals using up more nutrients), then adjust accordingly. There's a million ways to do things with a reef tank though and some people find other ways easier/better :)

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, overall it keeps things very consistent and then if for some reason something is out of line (say you get more corals using up more nutrients), then adjust accordingly. There's a million ways to do things with a reef tank though and some people find other ways easier/better :)
But like I was saying in other posts. If it’s to maintain levels then why is it raising my calcium instead of keeping it consistent? Your saying it doesn’t raise levels but it does raise calcium levels. It does keep alkalinity consistent.

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium was at 380 and my alkalinity was at 9. I dose a little all for reef and alk stays at 9 but calcium raises to 440.

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this odd because I was having calcium problems. Not alkalinity. Calcium is being consumed like crazy. Alkalinity not as much. But when I dose all for reef my calcium goes up like crazy it’s almost like I’m just dosing calcium 2 part but I’m not

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But like I was saying in other posts. If it’s to maintain levels then why is it raising my calcium instead of keeping it consistent? Your saying it doesn’t raise levels but it does raise calcium levels. It does keep alkalinity consistent.
This would be a great question for Lou, if you ever see him at an event or have his contact info. Otherwise I can ask around and see if I can get an answer if one doesn't pop up on this thread!

Mrmiles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just started using AFR on a new reef tank (4 months old). My initial doses were too high since the tank is lightly stocked. This stuff is very potent. Time will tell but the prospect of one supplement for every is definitely exciting. I'm striving for simplicity and hoping AFR can bring that.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this odd because I was having calcium problems. Not alkalinity. Calcium is being consumed like crazy. Alkalinity not as much. But when I dose all for reef my calcium goes up like crazy it’s almost like I’m just dosing calcium 2 part but I’m not

Calcium cannot be consumed without alk consumption. IIRC, Randy has said that for 2.8 dKH of alk consumed, only about 20-30 ppm of calcium gets consumed.

My calcium was at 380 and my alkalinity was at 9. I dose a little all for reef and alk stays at 9 but calcium raises to 440.

What size tank and much is a "little" AFR?

I strongly suspect testing error a bad test kit. Nothing else makes sense. I dose 26ml for a 120G tank and my calcium doesn't move.

OP
OP
Natescorals

Natescorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium cannot be consumed without alk consumption. IIRC, Randy has said that for 2.8 dKH of alk consumed, only about 20-30 ppm of calcium gets consumed.

What size tank and much is a "little" AFR?

I strongly suspect testing error a bad test kit. Nothing else makes sense. I dose 26ml for a 120G tank and my calcium doesn't move.
Okay I’m using API for calcium, Salifert and Hanna for alkalinity. Must be the test kit! Thank you. I’m only dosing 3ml for a 29 gallon. 2.5 gallon refugium.

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’m using API for calcium, Salifert and Hanna for alkalinity. Must be the test kit! Thank you. I’m only dosing 3ml for a 29 gallon. 2.5 gallon refugium.
Seems like Rybren was right on with it being the test kit, glad he asked. API is a great general indicator, but that's about it - very inaccurate compared to others. Red Sea has a good calcium kit. I dose between 2-3 ml of AFR daily on my 30 gallon with 10 gallon sump and it keeps things consistent for me, but you just have to find what your corals are using up and go from there.
I'd be interested to hear how things go if you try another test kit :)

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what I’m asking is what’s the point of buying all for reef supplement?
It works great for people with SPS tanks because the uptake is even. For your softy tank with some LPS it wouldn't make any sense. That's what I'm saying. That's the point. It won't be even. I don't understand where the confusion lies.

stevethao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this? Have you tried to continue the dosing of AFR and then check a week or two later? Maybe it's raising your cal for now until it sustains itself, as others are stating their cal stays around 470-480 range. Once it gets to that range, it may stay steady and not rise?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back