does anyone else cringe when someone asks how much their setup costs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dtackett
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2015
Messages
1,993
Reaction score
824
Location
Forest, OH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cringe every time I think about it. then when someone asks and expects an answer its worse lol. considering my setup is small and done on a budget I can only imagine what some of you have into your setups.
 
Well, if you compare this hobby to other activities, it can be more modest in cost than at first glance. Consider the costs associated with buying a nice Harley Davidson to cure a motorcycle bug...reefkeeping seems completely reasonable by comparison ;)

It's all about justification. :)
 
I'm lucky my wife would rather me spend money on my tank than on cars or out drinking every weekend. When people ask how much I simply tell them not enough yet
 
deer hunting doesn't require a lot of capitol lol ive done that with a 100 dollar shotgun and a 75 dollar processing fee. hell, that barely pays for most smaller skimmers. but yeah the Harley comparison is spot on. if it aint being worked on, its because the owner gave up!
 
I guess the type of deer hunting I had in mind is what the guys around here typically do. You know the kind, with 4x4 pickups, four wheelers, deer stands, food plots, and hunting leases/clubs involved.
 
I guess the type of deer hunting I had in mind is what the guys around here typically do. You know the kind, with 4x4 pickups, four wheelers, deer stands, food plots, and hunting leases/clubs involved.
oh those uppities. na, us good old boys don't need all that. a food plot maybe but a deer stand is as simple as a wood pallet and a couple 2x4 to hold it to the tree
 
oh those uppities. na, us good old boys don't need all that. a food plot maybe but a deer stand is as simple as a wood pallet and a couple 2x4 to hold it to the tree

Hahaha! I guess that's true as long as you have a place to hunt! ;)
 
Yes, our hobby can be very expensive. A harley might have been a lil better on the back end for me. The problem is you want to constantly upgrade and change things around and add to it.
 
One 400g system and one 200g system. I cringe every time I think how much I spent and when I think how much I still need to spend to get them where I want.
 
My happiness is worth every penny, as I can afford to do that now, within reason.

I see those huge systems with multiple Radions, reactors, Gyre or Vortech.....do I covet them you bet. Maybe one day.
 
My daughter went to frag swap with me. What I did not know is that she was counting how much I am spent....oops, all my hidden stash plus the "allowance" came to light.

Everyone justifies what they they so here is my justification - my better half prefers me to be at home in this hobby and I am happy to oblige her. Extends we go to make our spouses happy. This one is all for her :).

Sam
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new