does anyone else cringe when someone asks how much their setup costs?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spent well over a 1000$ just on a 55. I'm going to be setting up a 120. Approx cost on that is 3000$. But found a guy parting things out....thank god....it's going to cost me around 1000$ now...including a purple tang....

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that answer can be vague as in my opinion it's budget related....it's also dependent on what you are going to house in your system (IMO)

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock, sump, live sand. Which is better, led or metal halides?
all a matter of preference IMO....

i prefer Dry rock, cheaper and pest/junk free

same with the sand but i have used both...my small tank has dry sand in in whilst my larger has live

i have only used LED's (so that's all i know) but i am actually looking to probably go with T5's

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 05 1200 sportster for 3 grand. Fixed & cleaned it up. Had a kid, sold the bike for 4200. Bought some radions, mp40qd,gyre150,180g,calcium reactor ect. Not sure how, but that money was gone long ago lol.

I have no idea what I have into my tank, and I don't want to know. It's a used harley and somewhere along a 06 CRF450 as well.

Do I cringe? No, but I don't think about it either lol.

I haven't been asked about costs too much. More about how much time I invest in it

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preference is key. I'd do some research on both, check out some vids or pics of each and see which you like most. Both have shimmering effects. I've been told either little one inch sand need or over 8" or the nitrogen cycle won't complete. Not sure on the truth of that but it came from a 20+ year hobbyist.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter went to frag swap with me. What I did not know is that she was counting how much I am spent....oops, all my hidden stash plus the "allowance" came to light.

Everyone justifies what they they so here is my justification - my better half prefers me to be at home in this hobby and I am happy to oblige her. Extends we go to make our spouses happy. This one is all for her :).

Sam

haha, the spouse sent a spy!!

Devlin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g IM. I've easily spent 8,000. Very expensive hobby. And mistakes can be very costly. Not quite a year in. I've had many hobbies. This one by far is an addiction. I Wouldn't call it a hobby. LOL

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it better than a boat, but not a Harley. Wife like me home now that I have a tank and I am not riding as much. But this week no more caging it.

koifishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see why a hobbyist would cringe at that question. Once I get started, I would rather be questioned on how it runs, the specs, the livestock, etc. The cost isn't why people get into the hobby. I'm lucky enough to have a fiancee that is willing to make it couples project (but she has set limits :p). She's not into it as far as browsing forums or actively looking up stuff and that's okay. This will be my most expensive hobby by far and that's a bit intimidating. The tank I plan on getting is Red Sea Max C-130.

OP
OP
Dtackett

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

straight forward budget for a 90 gallon budget tank? youre looking at about 1000-1500. that's diy stand, diy sump, blackbox LEDs (will grow anything), SCA skimmer, DC6000 return pump, dry rock, dry sand, plumbing, drilling the tank etc.

jbeards1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not planning on a real low end budget, i would want to do it right from the start. I figure on a 2-3 thousand startup fund. Any suggestions for equipment would be greatly appreciated. I dont plan on many fish but do want corals and such.

jbeards1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not planning on a real low end budget, i would want to do it right from the start. I figure on a 2-3 thousand startup fund. Any suggestions for equipment would be greatly appreciated. I dont plan on many fish but do want corals and such.
Its either a reef tank or a street rod lol

OP
OP
Dtackett

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can easily do this right on a budget. remember. especially in this hobby, just because something is expensive doesn't mean its good and just because something is cheap doesn't mean its trash

JimDog2015

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if my wife is in ear shot I reduce the total by half.... I'm new to this hobby but I have learned three very important things 1) Patience, Patience, Patience. 2) Nothing happens fast, 3) Get to the mail box first...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back