Does anyone else get a rash from your tank?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a itchy rash on my arms when i put my arms in the tank. Was wondering if anyone else does or am i highly allergic to something in the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I get a itchy rash on my arms when i put my arms in the tank. Was wondering if anyone else does or am i highly allergic to something in the tank.
In the past I did with instant ocean and over the last decade or more it stopped. Its likely a reaction to trace elements and items such as magnesium, zinc, boron and such . If this is an issue, consider wearing aquagloves which is a mere $20 and goes all the way up your arm and very comfortble to wear

gloves.jpg

OP
OP
Seansea

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I donuse reef crystals so maybe thats it. I'll look into gloves.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all should wear protective gloves. In the nineties I moved palys and zoas about no gloves then wondered why I felt not so good and blamed it on my wife’s cooking. Same as venomous fish you only have too get jabbed and your in a world of pain lots of pain. But it’s upto the person what risk are they putting there selves at putting there hands in there tank . And to be totally honest I wash my hand first and hands in no gloves then wash again afterwards as vetteguy says the gloves would solve the problem for you

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must me allergic to something. If I were you I'd where gloves like vetteguy53081 recommended just to be safe. I have a pair and they are nice but I usually don't wear them.
I mix reef crystals and instant ocean 50 50 and have my hands in the tank a lot. I have no issues but I've been exposed to a lot of different chemicals on my skin as an auto tech that never wore any ppe so I probably have a higher tolerance than many.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll suggest something else - eczema.

I had to leave the LFS business because constant exposure to water (especially saltwater) can dry your skin out.

Sometimes you will get itchy rashes, sometimes your skin will dry and crack, it may even peel.

The most common places people see it is between your fingers and up the sides, or on the inside of your forearm (usually splotchy rashes form here, no drying/cracking).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back