Does anyone else have a left-handed tank?

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right spot to post. Every once in a while my husband says we have a left handed tank. Wants to find fish that swim on the right side for a change. I never paid much attention to it until just recently. He's right. Most of our fish swim all day mainly on the left side of our tank. A few will venture to the other side but only to swim around the rock and then come back. Is it possible my rockscape is the reason? The left is more open with swim through areas. The right is more dense with a couple of small caves. Here are pics of left and right side. Any opinions on this?

20170618_141856.jpg

20170618_142630.jpg

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion but it could be many things. First from my observations most fish stay away from human interactions. My fish tend to stay to the side that gets less people walking close to the tank or the side furthest from the TV, or noises, things like that. Second it could be flow. My fish will swim through the flow but tend to hang in areas where the flow is gentler and more dispersed. They will swim the whole tank but rest in these areas. Third could be the scape. They will hang where they feel safest (Which goes along with the first one in my tank). In my tank the side of my couch sits on the left hand side of the tank, and my TV is towards the right side so mine tend to stay to the left as well. When I get up from the couch its towards the right so the fish gravitate left to feel safe. All but 2 sleep in caves on the left side so that is sort of their homes. the other 2 are the newest so they sleep and tend to stay to the right to avoid territorial issues. Another thing is coral placement, fish will have different depths in the tank. Your torch coral on the right is down low and they can sting fish so that might keep them low and to the left, where as you free swimming fish will stay right and up top because of the torch on the left (which is higher). Feeding is another thing. I tend to feed on the left side so they might feel more comfortable there because they are waiting for a meal. Just some thoughts and observations from my tank, But I could not tell you for sure what goes through their beautiful little minds. try feeding then on the right or changing the flow if you want to get them coerced to the other side.

OP
OP
MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion but it could be many things. First from my observations most fish stay away from human interactions. My fish tend to stay to the side that gets less people walking close to the tank or the side furthest from the TV, or noises, things like that. Second it could be flow. My fish will swim through the flow but tend to hang in areas where the flow is gentler and more dispersed. They will swim the whole tank but rest in these areas. Third could be the scape. They will hang where they feel safest (Which goes along with the first one in my tank). In my tank the side of my couch sits on the left hand side of the tank, and my TV is towards the right side so mine tend to stay to the left as well. When I get up from the couch its towards the right so the fish gravitate left to feel safe. All but 2 sleep in caves on the left side so that is sort of their homes. the other 2 are the newest so they sleep and tend to stay to the right to avoid territorial issues. Another thing is coral placement, fish will have different depths in the tank. Your torch coral on the right is down low and they can sting fish so that might keep them low and to the left, where as you free swimming fish will stay right and up top because of the torch on the left (which is higher). Feeding is another thing. I tend to feed on the left side so they might feel more comfortable there because they are waiting for a meal. Just some thoughts and observations from my tank, But I could not tell you for sure what goes through their beautiful little minds. try feeding then on the right or changing the flow if you want to get them coerced to the other side.
You've actually given me lots to think about and possibly change in my tank. My flow is pretty equal on both sides but my rockscape may be blocking flow through the rock on the right. The left it seems to go through the whole structure. More dispersed. I've been thinking about some of my coral placement and may just make a few changes. Thanks for the reply. Gave me a lot more insight.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife asks me similiarly, "what's wrong with "x" side of the tank?" Last tank was the left, this time it's the right that the majority gravitate to.
I do think it's rockwork / hidey hole related.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a side that you favor during feeding? My fish utilize the whole tank, but seem to congregate on the side with the feeding ring for some reason ;)

OP
OP
MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually broadcast feed. I start on the right so the big guys go there, then feed the left for the little guys. When it's feeding time the tangs go a little crazy. Scares some of the little ones. This way my corals get fed as well.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if the rockwork was further away from the side of the glass they may swim around it more, it looks pretty tight?

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's differently flow. In my tank, imo, keeping as few rocks off the bottom will give greater flow, easier to clean, and give the fish more room for protection and navigation.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are pigs. When I fed from the right side my open swimmers stayed on the right. I've changed it up and feed on either side randomly now so they use more of the tank. One tang, pair of anthias, pair of clowns, three new chromis, two male banggai Cardinals, pair of long nose Hawks, and a diamond goby. The other goby and blenny just hang in their spots and wait for the food. My rock work is much more open and the only aggression is between my Cardinals once in a while. They've each set up on their own side of the tank but go to me begging for food whenever I'm near.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely the flow in the area they tend to hang out in more is preferred by them. Also if you always feed them on that side it could also be a contributing factor. Mine tends to be a right handed tank;Wacky

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back