Does anyone else think your foxface is a big scared horse?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoJosReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JoJosReef

There's some lovely filth down here!
View Badges
Joined
Sep 27, 2021
Messages
20,730
Reaction score
80,837
Location
Orange County, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching mine nibble on dragons breath exactly as a horse nibbles grass. He even spooks like a horse. He even rears up when he swims like a horse. Should be called a horseface rabbitfish...
PXL_20250414_182719883_exported_stabilized_1745377818962.gif

Also poops as much as a horse...
 
I was watching mine nibble on dragons breath exactly as a horse nibbles grass. He even spooks like a horse. He even rears up when he swims like a horse. Should be called a horseface rabbitfish...
PXL_20250414_182719883_exported_stabilized_1745377818962.gif

Also poops as much as a horse...
Mine was skittish as well.... but not as spooked as my trio of yellow tangs.
 
Mines scared of his own reflection 😂 but it has a heart on its body so I forgive it 🙂
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9143.png
    IMG_9143.png
    500.2 KB · Views: 49
Mine has turned into a big fatty. Arrived very very skinny and super stressed. Didn't think he would make it. Now he is chowing down on absolutely everything but the bubble algae....

Kind of have horse teeth, too, you know, relative to normal fish teeth:
1745381322909.png

1745381343743.png

Pics from Google Images
 
Hmm

Horseface fish does seem more fitting of a name. That long horse nose and all. I petition to change rabbitfish to horseface fish.
All in favor?

Motion passed!

Hear ye, hear ye! Henceforth and taking immediate effect, the foxface no more existeth by name and by body shall now beknownst by one and by all as horseface.
 
I really wanted a Fiji Horseface in my tank. Figured it would have a nice pasture of hair algae to graze on the back of my aquarium since I have been overdoing my nightly coral feedings supporting algae as well. Only thing, I have 16 fish in my 158 gallon DT, and a lot of rock aqua scape, so with a horse face, I was worried about its growth and if it would have a big enough stall of its own for settling in at night. Kinda read they’ll eat about everything that’s a nuisance, got enough hair algae growing now, I’ll bail some up for you guys if you need some. Way more nutritious than alfalfa.
 
My foxface is the biggest fish in my tank. He is also the biggest scaredy cat. The only time he comes to the front of the tank when I am near is when I am feeding seaweed pellets.
 
So I ended up getting a horseface rabbit fish. Truly entertaining to observe. I just took this photo, rearing up like a bronco, but the horseface and my purple tang have an interesting relationship as tank mates. I introduced horseface to my tank a month ago, and the purple tang is just like whatever most of the time, however, horseface always puts up the dorsal spines when the tang swims by. Today I noticed the tang swim over horse face twice and unload right over him. You know what comes in, must come out, or horseface did something recent to scare the, um bowel matter out of him? Perhaps the tang just needed a buoyancy adjustment to clear the spines. Haven’t seen aggression between the two yet, but they seem to have a little rivalry, given there size, tank size and the similar grazing habits each has. I think the purple tang is a prankster at heart, knows there is plenty to eat all day long and likes the reaction of horseface rabbit fish, like, “stay away from my Seaweed clip you venomous spined Burro!”
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5726.jpeg
    IMG_5726.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5696.jpeg
    IMG_5696.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 48
I'm not a big fan of my Foxface. I got him less than a year ago at 2.5" and he's now 5". Eats algae but not hair algae and everything else and is hugely fat. Scared of me and his own shadow but lately has become aggressive to my Regal Angel so he's got to go. So much for a peaceful fish.
 
Mine is smaller than my horse. Also my jawfish is terrified of it. My foxface not my horse. So I guess my jawfish is the big scaredy horse, that is small and not a horse.
 
I’ve had mine for about 12 years back then he was about $50. He’s probably eaten about $5000 worth of food lol it was about 2 inches long when I got him now he is about 6 inches used to be a big fatty, but I I think the all you could eat buffets is why my nitrates ultimately spiked up to 160 . So he’s healthy but much thinner than he used to be and my nitrates are now 45. I’ve got fish as small as a flame, hawk, fish and fish as big as a full grown Picasso trigger and my fox face. Is Very passive except he likes to chase my 12-year-old velvet damsel around the tank on rare occasion.. I also love how he will raise his dorsal spines whenever I move my hand when he comes to the side of the tank. Overall, a very interactive fish.
 
Sorry to hear that! Mine has definitely become the tank fatty, but also seems to step in to curb any aggression. Interesting.
I can’t believe how chunky my purple tang is. Eats everything, lights on until they are out. Almost didn’t want a tang, but how could I resist. Hoping the hermit crab population is up for the clean up of horseface rabbit pucky, as it also eats like a Sumo wrestler.
 
I can’t believe how chunky my purple tang is. Eats everything, lights on until they are out. Almost didn’t want a tang, but how could I resist. Hoping the hermit crab population is up for the clean up of horseface rabbit pucky, as it also eats like a Sumo wrestler.
Funny how much poop mine makes after macro-algae dinner. I'll hang a branch of dragons breath, which he loves, and the all that fiber gives him chunky nitrate bomb poops. In the more typical TDO and mysis days, he gets the long stringy ones. Total pig-horse-fox-rabbit-fish.
 
Mine is smaller than my horse. Also my jawfish is terrified of it. My foxface not my horse. So I guess my jawfish is the big scaredy horse, that is small and not a horse.
What kind of Jawfish? I enjoy there antics. Mine prefers to I be fed krill only by tweezers. Any other food offering and it gets pushed or blown back at me from its mouth
 
Funny how much poop mine makes after macro-algae dinner. I'll hang a branch of dragons breath, which he loves, and the all that fiber gives him chunky nitrate bomb poops. In the more typical TDO and mysis days, he gets the long stringy ones. Total pig-horse-fox-rabbit-fish.
Thank goodness for filtration, and mother natures ways of handling these things instead of having glass containers becoming a sewage center.
 
What kind of Jawfish? I enjoy there antics. Mine prefers to I be fed krill only by tweezers. Any other food offering and it gets pushed or blown back at me from its mouth
Pearly, just got it and its small
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new